If you have been involved in a collision wtih a semi-truck or 18-wheeler, you may be wondering what to do next. Truck accidents can be devastating, and the aftermath can be overwhelming. Fortunately, you do not have to go through it alone. At Hupy and Abraham, our Madison truck accident lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and fight for the compensation you deserve.
What’s the Difference Between a Car Crash Lawyer and a Truck Crash Lawyer?
While both car crash lawyers and truck wreck lawyers handle personal injury cases—there are significant differences between the two. A truck accident attorney has specific knowledge and experience in the following areas:
- Federal and state trucking regulations and laws
- Investigating and analyzing truck accidents, including determining the cause and identifying responsible parties such as the truck driver, trucking company, manufacturer of the truck, or the party responsible for loading cargo onto the truck or providing maintenance
- Complex insurance issues, such as multiple insurance policies and liability limits
In addition, due to the massive size of a truck compared to a car, the injuries sustained can be catastrophic. A Madison truck accident attorney will understand that the severity of injuries from a truck accident may be greater than a car accident and will fight for a significant settlement.
Why Do I Need a Truck Accident Lawyer in Madison?
If you have been in a truck accident, you may face significant medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages. A truck accident lawyer in Madison, WI, will help protect your legal rights and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and damages by doing the following to help with your case:
- Provide legal advice. They'll provide legal advice throughout the legal process so you understand your rights and options.
- Investigate and gather evidence. They'll thoroughly investigate the accident to determine who was at fault and gather evidence such as witness testimony, photographs, medical and police reports, and more to support your case.
- Negotiate with insurance companies. They can negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf to ensure you receive the maximum amount of compensation possible.
- Represent you in court. If your case goes to court, a lawyer can represent you and argue your case before a judge and jury.
How Much is a Lawyer After a Collision With a Semi or 18-Wheeler?
Most Madison personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. The contingency fee can vary depending on the complexity of the case and the lawyer's experience and reputation.
Since the contingency fee is based on your final settlement amount, a truck crash lawyer will fight to get you the compensation you deserve so they can also get paid. At Hupy and Abraham, our fee is contingent, and there is no risk to you since we only get paid if we win. We offer our clients a Win or It’s Free Guarantee.
In addition to the legal fees associated with your case, there may also be other expenses. These can include filing fees, costs for expert witness testimony, deposition costs, and more. Be sure to discuss all fees with your lawyer before signing any agreements or beginning legal proceedings. This will help you avoid any surprises as your case progresses.
How Can an Attorney Help You?
If you have been injured or lost a loved one in a truck accident, it is essential that you get the legal advice and representation needed from an experienced and knowledgeable Madison truck accident attorney. A lawyer can protect your rights and fight for justice on your behalf.
A Madison truck accident lawyer has an in-depth understanding of state and federal laws and regulations governing the trucking industry. This knowledge helps them build winning cases by preparing powerful argument strategies that prove who was at fault for the crash. In addition, they will thoroughly investigate the scene to uncover any evidence that may be useful during litigation proceedings.
In addition, an experienced attorney will know how best to handle insurance companies who may appear helpful but often try to limit compensation or deny claims altogether. If the insurance company does not settle your claim, a lawyer will take your case to court and fight to get you the settlement you deserve. In Wisconsin, if you're involved in a truck accident, you may be entitled to recover the following types of damages depending on the circumstances of the accident:
- Medical expenses such as hospital bills, doctor's visits, medication, rehabilitation, and other related expenses.
- Lost wages for the time you miss from work
- Property damage if your vehicle or other property was damaged in the accident
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering you experience as a result of the accident
Ultimately, an skilled truck accident attorney in Madison, WI, will give you peace of mind and will help take some of the stress off your shoulders by handling the legal details while you focus on your recovery.
When to Hire a Truck Accident Attorney in Madison
If you have been in a collision with a semi or 18-wheeler, hiring a truck crash attorney as soon as possible is important. The sooner you hire a lawyer, the better your chance of building a solid case and securing a fair settlement.
Wisconsin has a statute of limitations for filing a truck accident claim. The deadline is three years from the date of your truck accident injury. There are several exceptions to this rule, such as being mentally incompetent at the time of the accident or being a minor under the age of 18 at the time of the crash. If you fail to file a claim within the statute of limitations, your case will be dismissed, and you will not be able to recover any damages for injury or loss. Hiring an experienced truck accident lawyer in Madison, WI, immediately following the accident will ensure you meet this deadline.
Finally, hiring a lawyer immediately following a truck accident will ensure that valuable evidence is preserved. This evidence will be used to support your claim and prove your case. If you wait too long to hire an attorney, the evidence may no longer be available.
How to Find the Right Truck Crash Lawyer for My Case
Finding the right attorney for your case can be challenging. You will want to look for a lawyer with experience handling truck accident cases and understanding the unique issues involved with such cases.
To begin your search, ask friends and family for referrals of attorneys they may have used for similar issues, or consider using a lawyer you know personally or have used for a past issue. Make sure the lawyer is experienced in truck accident claims and understands the laws of Wisconsin.
You can also search online for truck wreck lawyers near you. Read reviews and testimonials from past clients to get an idea of the lawyer's track record and how they treat their clients. You can look at a lawyer’s case results to see what types of settlements they have won for other truck accident victims.
Once you narrow your options for lawyers, you will want to schedule a consultation with each lawyer to discuss your case. Be sure to ask questions since the answers they provide will give you an idea of their communication style and approach. The truck accident attorney you choose should be someone you feel comfortable talking to and who is willing to answer your questions and address your concerns.
Some questions to ask a truck accident attorney at the initial consultation include the following:
- How many years of experience do you have in personal injury law?
- Do you have experience in handling truck accident cases similar to mine?
- What were the outcomes of your past truck accident cases?
- Who would be my point of contact if I have questions or need updates during the duration of my case?
- Do you see any challenges with my case?
- What do you think my case is worth?
- What payment arrangement do you offer? Do you work on a contingency fee?
- What amount of time do I have to file a truck accident lawsuit in Madison?
- Do you have the resources to take my case to trial if it is not settled with the insurance company?
Why Hire Hupy and Abraham for Your Truck Accident Needs
Contact Our Madison Truck Accident Lawyer for a Free Consult Today!
If you or a loved one was injured in a collision with a big truck or 18-wheeler, contact our experienced lawyers at Hupy and Abraham for a free consultation today. Our Madison truck crash attorney offers a Win, or It’s Free Guarantee so there is no payment unless we win your case.
To schedule a confidential appointment, please complete our convenient contact form online or call us at 800-800-5678.