During a rainstorm, the number of car crashes in Madison tends to go up. The rain can create for more treacherous road conditions than usual. Often cars are seen spinning out of control, leading to collisions with other vehicles, rollover accidents, or crashes on the side of the road. The results are exactly as you would expect: frequent serious injury and even death.
It is important that a driver stays safe and cautious while driving in the rain. Because rainstorms do not happen every day, many people are not skilled in driving in rainy or wet conditions. There are proven ways for a driver to stay safe during a rainstorm.
Five key tips a driver must know to prevent a car accident in Madison during a rainstorm are:
1. Slow down. One of the biggest mistakes people make during a rainstorm is to drive too fast. It takes much longer to adjust and slow down during rainy weather. Driving too quickly can also cause the vehicle to hydroplane and lose control.
2. Use middle lanes. If you are driving on a road or highway with multiple lanes, try to stay toward the middle. Due to the way roads slope, water tends to build up in the outside lanes, making them dangerous.
3. Follow at a safe distance. Generally, the rule of following at a safe distance is the three second rule. It is a good idea to increase this distance during a rainstorm to allow more time to react to a situation that may arise.
4. Use headlights. Headlights should always be used during a rainstorm. This will help you see the road better as well as help other drivers see you.
5. Brake cautiously. Use the brakes as little—and as lightly— as possible, consistent with maintaining control over the vehicle. To slow down, take you foot off the accelerator. Braking too hard can cause the vehicle to slide.
These tips will help you stay safe while driving in rainy conditions, yet accidents still happen. If you have been involved in an accident you may be entitled to compensation. Contact an experienced Madison car crash attorney at Hupy and Abraham to get the compensation you deserve. Call 888-277-4879 to set up your free case evaluation and request a FREE copy of our book, The Ultimate Guide for Automobile Accident Victims.