A DUI, OWI or DWI charge can cost you more than your pride or your job - it can cost you upwards of $10,000. MSN Money reports that the costs associated with bail, fines, fees and increased insurance rates are large. This figure is calculated based on a non-accident OWI ticket. If you get into an accident while drinking and driving, you can expect your costs to skyrocket.
A DUI will set you back financially in the following ways:
- Bail: $150 - $2,500
- Towing: $100 - $1,200
- Insurance Costs: At least $4,500
- Legal Fees: $2,000 - $25,000
- Fines: $300 - $1,200
- Alcohol Evaluation: About $150
- Alcohol Education and Treatment: $150 - $2,000
- License Reinstatement Fees: $95 - $250
- Additional Fees: At least $325
Affected Earning Capacity
In addition to the fees and legal ramifications of an OWI, there are other ways that the charge will affect your earning capacity. These include:
- Life Insurance Premium Increase
- Lost Time from Work = Less Income
- Lose the License? Lose the Job
- Being Fired (jobs such as airline pilot, doctor, stockbroker, lawyer or nurse require a license that may be revoked due to a DWI conviction)
- A DUI will appear on any Criminal Background Check (costing you a potential job)
Of course the monetary cost of a DUI is large, but not as large as the burden placed on those whose loved ones are killed in a drunk driving accident. In 2007, the NHTSA publication list found that in Illinois alone, 362 people were killed during accidents with drunk drivers. The numbers are similar for Wisconsin, where 34% of the states deadly auto accidents involved alcohol.
Have You Been Injured In A Wisconsin, Illinois or Iowa Car Accident?
If you've been injured in a car accident you should speak to an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible. You can contact us online or call our office directly at 800.800.5678 to schedule your free consultation with one of our car accident lawyers. We have been helping car accident victims since 1964 and service clients throughout Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa.