Often, Milwaukee auto accidents cause a driver or passenger to sustain injuries. Even minor accidents—so-called “bumper thumpers"—that do little damage to the vehicle can lead to major human injuries.
One of the common injuries sustained in minor and major accidents alike is sometimes referred to as “whiplash.” Whiplash is a term that refers to a neck sprain or neck strain caused by sudden acceleration. When an accident causes the head to move forward suddenly, the muscles and bones in the neck are forced to stretch, and then snap back into position.
Neck strains and sprains are often hard to diagnose. In most cases, the injury causes damage to the discs, muscles, and ligaments. These cannot be seen on a standard X-ray. To diagnose this injury specialized imaging tests are sometimes used, such as CT scans or MRIs.
There is a wide range of symptoms that a whiplash sufferer may experience. These possible signs of whiplash include:
- Pain. The majority of the pain caused by whiplash will be in focused in the neck area. It can cause pain to radiate down the shoulders and arms. It may also cause the victim to suffer from back pain.
- Headaches. Many whiplash victims suffer from headaches. After neck pain, headaches are the most common symptom that victims report.
- Decreased range of motion. Sore and stiff muscles can cause it to be difficult to turn the neck in a way that would be considered normal.
- Unusual nerve sensations. Victims of whiplash have reported having burning, prickling, and tingling in the arms.
- Other symptoms. Sleeplessness, fatigue, trouble concentrating and psychological difficulties occasionally accompany whiplash.
Dealing with the pain and suffering brought on by an injury caused by a Milwaukee car crash can seem overwhelming. As a victim, you may be entitled to compensation for the pain and suffering you have gone through.
Contact a Wisconsin car crash attorney at Hupy and Abraham, to discuss your legal options. Call 800-800-5678 today for a free case evaluation. When contacting Hupy and Abraham, be sure to request a FREE copy of our client book, The Ultimate Guide For Automobile Accident Victims. We will send it to you at our expense without obligation.