Spinal cord injuries and back injuries are complex injuries that can change your life forever. Your recovery depends on the specific damage done to the spinal cord or back during your accident and the actions that you take to protect your rights.
Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
A motorcycle accident, car accident, slip and fall, or other type of accident can result in a spinal cord injury if the spine is:
These things can result in immediate damage to the spinal cord as well as dangerous bleeding, swelling and inflammation.
Complications of Spinal Cord Injuries
Once you have been stabilized and received emergency medical treatment, it will be time to think about the future. It is important to consider the following potential complications that can follow a spinal cord injury:
- Paralysis. This may be partial or complete paralysis and may include your legs, torso, and arms.
- Loss of bladder control.
- Loss of bowel control.
- Loss of skin sensation that can lead to pressure sores.
- Circulatory control issues that can lead to an increase in blood clots and a dangerous rise in blood pressure.
- Respiratory system issues including difficulty breathing and coughing.
- Change in muscle tone that can make movement difficult.
- Weight loss, muscle atrophy, and other issues.
- Change in sexual health.
These complications are scary and they can be life changing.
No Cure Is Currently Available—But There Are Treatments
At this time, there is no way to reverse damage done during a spinal cord injury. However, doctors and researchers have come up with ways to improve the lives and outcomes of spinal cord injury patients. Some of the available treatments include:
- Preventative emergency care that can lessen the severity of the injury. Emergency room staff will work to prevent shock and to prevent further damage.
- Medications that may help lessen the damage if given soon after the injury.
- Surgery to remove fragments of the spine or repair disks and vertebrae.
- Long-term treatments which can include rehabilitation, medication, and assistive devices and adaptations.
The cost of these treatments, and your ongoing care, may be significant. However, if you have been hurt by someone else’s negligence, then there may be help available for you.
Other Back Injuries
Spinal cord injuries are one of the most serious types of back injuries that can occur in an accident, but they are not the only type of back injury that can occur. Herniated discs, sprains or strains of the lumbar or thoracic spine, and broken bones are also significant injuries that can cause pain, extensive medical treatment, and changes in your lifestyle.
Injured in a Crash? Contact Our Milwaukee Car Accident Lawyer for a Free Consult
Were you or a loved one recently injured in a crash due to another person’s negligence? If so, then it is time to contact our car accident lawyer in Milwaukee for a free consultation. Our team has been practicing law in Wisconsin for over 50 years, and have seen every type of accident there is.
To schedule a consult with our experienced Milwaukee car accident lawyer, start an online chat, fill out our convenient contact form or call 1 (800) 800-5678 today!