In 2015, 134 workers died from exposure to electricity, and many more were injured in the United States. If you are an electrician, a utility worker, a construction worker, or someone else who is at risk of electrocution, then it is important to understand the risks and to know what to do if you are hurt after being exposed to electricity at work.
How Electrocutions Happen at Work
Employers are required to follow all applicable regulations to try to prevent electrocutions. Yet workers remain at serious risk of electrocution from:
- Faulty wiring.
- Overloaded circuits.
- Improper installation.
- Exposed electrical parts.
- Downed wires.
Some of the serious injuries that can result from electricity accidents include:
- Cardiac arrest.
- Nerve damage.
- Neurological issues.
Many people know right away if they have been electrocuted; however, that is not always the case. Sometimes, general weakness, muscle pain, and other more subtle symptoms can indicate electrocution. Therefore, any change in your health should be promptly diagnosed and treated in the emergency room or by your primary care doctor.
What to Do After an Electrocution
If someone has been electrocuted. then it is important to help in any way that you can. However, you should not touch the victim—in fact, you should not get too close to the victim—until you are sure that the source of the electricity has been turned off. Instead, you should call 911 and report that a medical emergency has occurred. Stay on the phone with the dispatcher and provide as much information as you can about the accident that occurred and the condition of the worker.
If you were hurt or if your loved one was killed by electricity, then it is important to notify the employer as soon as possible and to talk to an experienced Iowa workers’ compensation lawyer. You may have the right to recover damages and we can help you make sure that your rights are protected after a work-related injury. To learn more, please contact us today for a free, no-obligation consultation.