A Prisoner Behind Metal Cell Bars in an Illinois Facility

You may have to serve jail time, and you will lose certain freedoms while you are serving your sentence. You won’t be able to come and go as you please, you may only communicate with your family and friends at certain times, and you will need to comply with certain rules for security reasons.

However, you will not lose all of your constitutional rights. Your eighth amendment right to live free of cruel and unusual punishment applies when you are in prison, and other rights guaranteed to you under the United States and Illinois constitutions may also apply.

You Have the Right to Live Free of Prison Abuse or Neglect

No Illinois police officer, corrections officer, or other prison worker has the right to abuse or neglect you. That means that no one should intentionally hurt you or neglect your health or safety while you are in police custody or serving time in jail.

Your rights may have been violated, and you may make a legal and financial recovery if, for example:

  • You are sexually abused
  • Police officers or prison staff use unnecessary force
  • Police officers or prison staff act with the intent to hurt you
  • Medical care, mental health care, or dental care is withheld
  • Police officers or prison staff fail to recognize your need for medical, mental health, or dental care
  • You are hurt by other prisoners that staff know or should know are dangerous
  • You are deprived of a reasonable amount of food or water
  • You are deprived of a reasonable amount of sleep
  • You are forced to be in unsafe conditions that are too hot, too cold, or otherwise dangerous
  • You attempt suicide

You have the right to file a complaint if you suffer abuse or neglect injuries, and you have the right to seek compensation for your injuries. Of course, prison workers are unlikely to inform you of your rights or help you get the financial recovery that you deserve.

Contact an Illinois Police Brutality Lawyer If You’re Hurt

Our experienced police brutality lawyers will help you. We can collect and review evidence, such as:

  • Surveillance video. Many prisons have surveillance video in different parts of the facility. These videos can provide compelling evidence that shows exactly what happened to you, but they must be secured before they are destroyed.
  • Medical records. Your doctor will document your injuries in your medical records. These records can provide useful information about how the abuse or neglect hurt you and the value of your damages.
  • Witness statements. Other prison workers, prisoners, or visitors may have seen what happened to you and may provide important statements that support your claim.

Some of this evidence is controlled by the prison, and it is challenging to get unless you know how to ask for it in a legally compelling way.

Once our attorneys review the evidence in your case, we can advise you of your legal rights. If you have been hurt or a loved one has died because of police abuse or neglect in an Illinois prison, then we will fight hard to get you the fair and just recovery that you deserve.

We will negotiate a settlement or go to court to fight for your recovery of healthcare costs, lost income, out-of-pocket costs, physical pain, emotional suffering, and other damages. If appropriate, we will also fight for punitive damages that punish the government for what happened and have the practical effect of putting more money in your pocket.

Don’t worry about the cost of a police brutality case. Instead, schedule a free and confidential consultation with our police brutality lawyers today. Call us or fill out our online contact form today. If you are in an Illinois prison or hospital, then we will be happy to come to you to learn more about what happened to you and to discuss how we may help you. If you can come to us, then we welcome your visit by appointment in our Bloomington, Gurnee, or Rockford Illinois offices.

Jason F. Abraham
Connect with me
Helping car accident and personal injury victims throughout Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa since 1993.