What would you do if a Rockford car accident left you unable to work for two or three months, or even longer? Would you still be able to make ends meet?

Unfortunately, most American families are not prepared for an unexpected income loss. Once the accident victim has used up his sick time, the family must rely on credit cards and loans to pay the bills. In many cases, the financial hardship of car accident injury leads to bankruptcy.

Some of this financial stress can be avoided. If you suffered a serious Illinois car accident, you may be eligible to receive compensation for your lost wages. However, the insurance company won’t offer you this compensation. You or your attorney will need to request it from the insurance provider.

There are two ways to get compensation for lost wages:

  • File a lost wages claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company
  • File a claim based on your own personal injury protection (PIP) coverage

In order to file a lost wages claim, you will need to provide documentation of the accident, your injuries, and the related wage loss. Documentation may include the following:

Proof of the Accident

  • Accident report from the police department

Proof of Injury

  • Medical records
  • A letter from your physician that describes your injuries and how they prevented you from working
  • Photographs of your injuries
  • Medical authorization form completed by a physician

Documentation of Wage Loss

  • A letter from your employer confirming the time you missed at work and how much income you lost because of your injury
  • Check stubs
  • Copies of your previous tax returns

Officials from the car insurance company may request additional information. They may want to review your past medical records or talk to your employer. Refer the insurance agent to your lawyer to make sure your rights are protected.

Lost wages are usually compensated at a rate of 80 to 85 percent. If your injury has left you permanently disabled and unable to return to work, you may also be compensated for your lost earning potential. For more information, contact Hupy and Abraham at 800-390-6350.

Jason F. Abraham
Connect with me
Managing Partner, Hupy and Abraham