Each year, over 9,000 people in the United States are treated at hospital emergency rooms for firework-related injuries. Fireworks can present a potential for injury for those using or watching a fireworks display. It is important to know some quick safety essentials if you are attending any firework display or lighting off your own fireworks this summer.
- Sparklers can reach temperatures of nearly 2,000 degrees and lead to over 19% of all firework injuries.
- Fireworks start an average of 18,500 fires each year.
- Lighting fireworks one at a time is safest, then move back quickly.
- Visiting local parks that have public displays is the safest way to enjoy the Fourth of July, rather than risk getting a ticket, getting injured or setting something on fire.
Hosting a Firework Show
- Only shoot fireworks in clear areas away from homes, trees or flammable objects.
- Keep water and a fire extinguisher on hand.
- Never try to relight a firework that doesn’t seem to work.
- Avoid alcohol when using fireworks.
- Know local firework laws.
- Soak used fireworks before discarding.
Attending a Public Firework Show
The Division of Fire Marshal (DFM) urges you to celebrate and enjoy the holiday without your own fireworks. Instead, attend a public firework display where certified and licensed pyrotechnicians are trained and experienced in the safe use of fireworks. There are local firework shows in Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa open for the public.
Safety tips for public firework shows:
- Keep a safe distance from the firing platform and falling debris.
- Stay aware of your surroundings and avoid tripping hazards by carrying a light source.
- Remain aware of the nearest exits.
- Bring earplugs for small children.
- Ensure the scene is safe.
- Wear protective gear.
- Obtain a first aid kit.
- Rinse the burn in cool water.
- Apply antibiotic or burn cream to a burn.
- Cover burn area with a clean, nonstick dry dressing.
- Follow up with a healthcare provider.
Everyone at Hupy and Abraham, S.C. hopes you and your loved ones have a happy, fun and safe Fourth of July. But, if for any reason, you experience an accident this holiday weekend caused by a faulty product or another party, please contact the personal injury lawyers of Hupy and Abraham. Call us for a free, confidential, no-obligation consultation at 414-223-4800 or start a live chat 24/7 at hupy.com.