“Personal injury” is a broad term. It can mean any type of incident that leaves someone hurt. Typically, in the legal sense, it means a type of incident that leaves someone hurt and that was caused by someone else’s negligent or intentional actions. Despite this common definition, however, not all personal injury incidents are the same.
Nine Kinds of Iowa Personal Injury Accidents
If you have been hurt in any of the following types of incidents, then its important to investigate what caused your injury and whether you may have the right to make a legal recovery. These injuries include:
- Car crashes. Accidents between two cars, a car and another vehicle, a car and a bicyclist, or a car and a pedestrian can be devastating. A person who is hurt by the negligent actions of a car driver may be able to recover damages.
- Dog bites. Iowa dog owners have a duty to keep people safe from their pets. People who are hurt by dogs or other domestic animals may have the right to recover damages for their injuries.
- Motorcycle accidents. Often, Iowa motorcycle crashes are caused by car and truck drivers. Riders and passengers who are hurt by the negligence of other drivers may be able to recover damages.
- Negligent security incidents. Property owners have a duty to take reasonable security precautions. The specific precautions depend on the type of property and its location. People hurt by negligent security may have a legal claim and be able to recover damages in an Iowa court.
- Nursing home abuse and neglect. Nursing homes are supposed to provide care for and protect residents. Unfortunately, sometimes the opposite happens and residents are hurt by nursing home abuse and neglect. These residents or their estates have rights and may recover compensation.
- Pharmaceutical injuries. Pharmaceutical companies have a duty to design reasonably safe medications and medical devices, to manufacture medications and medical devices according to that design, and to warn doctors and patients of side effects. Unfortunately, this doesn’t always happen, and serious—sometimes fatal—side effects occur.
- Slip and fall accidents. If you can prove that you fell because of a property owner’s or a property manager’s negligence, then you may be able to recover damages for your injuries. Slip and fall cases can be difficult to prove, but it is important to protect your rights and your legal recovery.
- Truck accidents. Truck drivers, trucking companies, and truck maintenance workers can all potentially cause serious truck wrecks. If you’ve been injured in an Iowa truck crash then a full investigation must be done so that the right defendants are identified and so that you can get the recovery that you deserve.
- Work accidents. You don’t need to prove negligence in order to recover for a work-related injury in Iowa. You may be eligible for workers’ compensation.
While these incidents are very different, the actions that you take are the same, whether you’ve been hurt in one of these incidents or if your loved one has died in an accident.
What to Do If You’ve Been Hurt in Any Kind of Iowa Personal Injury Accident
After you get medical attention for your injuries, your next step should be to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer in our Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, or Davenport offices for a free and confidential consultation. Learn what your rights may be and how to protect your fair recovery. Find out what we can do to help you achieve your goals. Contact us online or call us directly at 800.800.5678 to schedule your free consultation