The bicycle was invented in 1817. The first version had no pedals, brakes or steering capabilities. It was also made entirely out of wood. Luckily, we have come a very far way since then and the bicycle, as we know it today, is a comfortable and easy way to get around. Bike riding not only is a popular mode of getting from place to place, but it is also a wonderful way to stay fit.
However, on a bike, you are exposed to the elements and to other vehicles with no frame to protect you and you are often traveling at relatively high rates of speed. This can be a recipe for disaster if you do not take precautions to keep yourself safe. In 2017, cyclists accounted for more than 2% of traffic fatalities and 783 cyclists died in accidents with motor vehicles in the United States.
Following these safety tips will protect yourself while biking.
- Make sure your bike is ready to ride before heading out. You should carefully inspect your bike to make sure all parts are working properly. Make sure your brakes are working, that your tires are filled and that the bike chain is in good condition.
- Make sure you have a properly fitting bicycle helmet. Wearing a helmet may save your life in the event of a serious collision.
- Pay attention to everything going on around you. Use your eyes and your ears. At all times, you should constantly stay aware of hazards and motorists around you. This is one of the best things you can do to avoid an accident.
- Remain visible. No matter the time of day, you need to be seen by others. Wear bright colors when riding. Wearing reflective materials increases your visibility greatly.
- Ride in the same direction as traffic. Go with the flow of traffic -- not against it. This can significantly reduce the risk of an accident.
- Obey all the rules and regulations of the road. You must observe the rules and regulations of the road just as motorists are required to do. Obey signs and traffic lights, yield when appropriate and never ride while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Hupy and Abraham is dedicated to promoting bicycle safety. Please help us spread the message by getting a free “Watch for Cycles” bumper sticker here!
If you or a loved one has been injured in a cycling accident, contact the experienced attorneys at Hupy and Abraham today. Call 800-800-5678 for a free, no-obligation consultation, or start a live chat with us anytime at Hupy.com.