Riding your motorcycle in the winter is definitely a challenge. With rough weather and slippery roads, it’s no wonder that many riders keep their bikes in storage throughout the winter months. Although a lot of riders are off the road when the weather is cold and snowy, some of us keep riding year-round. Having the right accessories while riding in the winter will help keep you more comfortable and safer on the road.
Let’s take a look at five motorcycle accessories that will make riding your motorcycle in the winter easier:
- Winter Tires: Installing specialized winter tires to your bike will help keep you in control. Winter tires are designed specifically for slippery, cold weather conditions, giving you the best traction possible. Once you ride with these tires, you’ll definitely see that your motorcycle is more responsive in winter weather and safer to ride.
- Heated Grips: Riding in the cold can be miserable and especially tough on your hands. Even with gloves, the cold can creep in and make your ride very uncomfortable. Installing heated grips on your handlebars will help keep your hands nice and warm, even in the coldest conditions. Many models of these grips have adjustable temperatures so that you can choose the right warmth for you while you’re riding.
- Handguards: Another great set of accessories for winter riding are handguards. Handguards are placed on your handlebars in front of each of your grips to protect your hands from the elements. These easy-to-install and inexpensive accessories will help protect your hands from snow, wind and rain. They will also protect your hands in the event of a crash because of their tough and durable materials, making them good for all-season riding.
- Windshield: If you don’t have a windshield on your bike, you’ll want to consider installing one if you’re going to ride in the winter. Having a windshield will help protect you from wind, debris and other elements, making your ride way more comfortable. You’ll want to pick a windshield that is made from durable and clear materials. Also, make sure that it is tall enough to deflect the wind from your helmet and chest area.
- Warming Vest: Keeping as warm as you can on a winter ride will help keep you aware and ready to react quickly. A warming vest is an electric vest that you can keep under your jacket to keep your core warm and comfortable no matter how cold it is. Many of these vests can act as a liner to your jacket while some can be worn on their own. Finding a warming vest with an adjustable temperature will keep you the most comfortable.
While being an added cost to riding, these accessories will help you enjoy winter riding and keep your focus on the road instead of the cold. Always make sure you're dressed for the winter by wearing enough layers, gloves and face protection. Always focus on the road, taking extra time while riding since the winter can bring hazardous and slippery conditions.
Hupy and Abraham has been promoting rider safety and awareness for decades with our “Watch for Motorcycles” message. The firm’s efforts work to keep motorcycle riders safe and help them avoid accidents. For more articles on motorcycle gadgets, accessories, news and events stay tuned to hupy.com.
Sometimes riders can do everything right, but still be in serious accidents. If you’ve been injured in an accident, call Hupy and Abraham today at 800-800-5678 or chat with us on HUPY.COM. We’ve helped over 70,000 clients receive over $1 billion for their injuries, so we have your back if you’re in an accident.