It depends on what the driver knew about the mechanical problems before your accident. The driver could still be legally responsible for your paying for your damages, but other defendants may also be liable.
Potential Defendants in Your Iowa Car Crash Case
If your crash occurred because of faulty brakes, engine failure, or another mechanical problem, then one or more of the following parties may be legally responsible for your damages:
- The driver. Even if a mechanical problem caused your crash, the driver could be at fault. If the driver knew, or should have reasonably known, of a problem and continued driving, then the driver may have been negligent. For example, if the check engine light was on or if the brakes were grinding or squeaking, and the driver continued to drive, then the driver could be liable for your crash-related injuries.
- The manufacturer. If there was a design defect, a manufacturing defect, or a warning defect that caused the accident, then the manufacturer could be liable.
- The mechanic. If a mechanic made a mistake fixing the car, then the mechanic could be legally responsible for your damages.
In some cases, more than one of these parties may be liable for your injuries. You should expect, however, that each of these parties will claim that someone else should pay for your accident injuries.
Get the Evidence You Need to Get the Recovery You Deserve
To get the recovery you deserve, you will need convincing evidence to prove how your auto accident happened and who caused it. This evidence may include:
- The driver answering your attorney’s questions, under oath, to determine when the driver knew or should have known there was a mechanical problem with the car
- Car maintenance records
- Car design plans and manufacturing records
- Reports of other similar issues in the same make and model year as the vehicle
Car accident cases involving potential mechanical problems are more complex than car crash cases that only involve driver negligence. You need an experienced car crash lawyer who knows what evidence to gather, how to negotiate effectively with insurance companies, and will fight for your financial recovery.
Our Iowa accident lawyers will fight for your recovery of past and future medical expenses, lost income, out-of-pocket costs, physical pain, emotional suffering, and other accident-related damages. Call us today to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation and to learn about our Win or It’s Free Guarantee!