According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, one out of every five car accidents happens in a parking lot. Gurnee Mills is always crowded. During the holiday shopping season, parking lots are especially busy, increasing the likelihood of a parking lot crash. Here are some tips that can help you avoid Gurnee parking lot crashes while you finish your holiday shopping:
- Always wear your seat belt. Buckle up, even if you’re just straightening out your parking. Since most parking lot crashes involve low speeds, wearing your seat belt could be enough to protect you from injury if another driver hits your car.
- When possible, avoid shopping on weekends. Gurnee Mills is always busiest on Saturday; this is especially true during the holiday season. If you can, shop on a weekday morning. You’ll be pleasantly surprised by all the available parking.
- Check your blind spots. Properly adjusting your mirrors will minimize your blind spots, but you should manually look over your shoulder every time you pull out of a parking space. Be extra careful to check for any children in the area.
- Choose a “good” parking spot. Look for a parking spot that gives you plenty of space to maneuver. The extra space is worth walking a little farther. When possible, choose a parking sport that allows you to pull out into the travel lane instead of backing out.
- Center your vehicle in the parking spot. Parking on or over the line increases your chances of being hit by another driver.
- Use your signals. Using your signals is just as important in the parking lot as it is on the highway. Your signals let other drivers and pedestrians anticipate your moves and plan accordingly.
While most parking lot accidents happen at low speeds, serious injuries do happen. If you are injured in a parking lot accident this holiday season, contact the Illinois accident injury lawyers at Hupy and Abraham. Our top-rated car crash attorneys can help you get the fair settlement you deserve. To learn more, request a free copy of The Ultimate Guide For Automobile Accident Victims or call 800-800-5678.