Have Questions for Our Attorneys? We’ve Got Your Answers!

Read More +

Get Help Now


From helping you after a dog attack or truck accident in Wisconsin to defending your rights as a rider, the personal injury trial attorneys at Hupy & Abraham will be fierce advocates in your time of need.

With offices across Wisconsin, Illinois, and Iowa, and representing clients hurt by slip and fall incidents, car accidents, wrongful deaths, drug and medical device injuries, dog bites, nursing home abuse and motorcycle crashes, we are available where you need us and when you need us.

Contact our professional team of Midwest injury attorneys by calling 800-800-5678 today for your free consultation.

  • Page 74
  • How can I learn more about my rights as a rider in Wisconsin?

    What are your rights if you are pulled over while riding your motorcycle?  Does Wisconsin law do anything to protect the rights of riders?  Are motorcycle checkpoints even legal?

    As riders ourselves, the attorneys at Hupy & Abraham have been working tirelessly to answer these questions and defend riders when their rights have been violated.  A New Year's workshop by our lead investigator, Tony "Pan" Sanfelipo, attempted to clear up these issues and more.  Tony, along with all of us at Hupy & Abraham, are concerned that traffic stops are not the right way to ensure the safety of riders, but instead an excuse for police to meet quotas and harass the rider community. 

    If you believe that your rights as a rider have been violated or that you have been harassed by the police, please do not hesitate to contact your Milwaukee motorcycle rights attorney at Hupy & Abraham for your free consultation.

  • What is the most important thing I can do to make my slip and fall case as successful as possible?

    In order to have the best chance at winning your slip and fall case, it is necessary to identify the dangerous condition or hazard that caused you to fall.  Do whatever you can to take photos of the condition that caused your fall.  If you or someone nearby has a camera (your cell phone will do), take pictures.  If you are not able to take photographs immediately after your fall, have a family member or friend take pictures of the area where you fell as soon as possible.  Ice melts.  Other dangerous conditions are many times removed shortly after a fall.  It is imperative to take pictures of the scene to preserve evidence of the condition. 

  • Can I be found at fault for an accident just because I was involved?

    There is no Wisconsin law that states you are at fault merely for being involved in an accident.  Insurance companies routinely try to point a finger at the person who didn't cause the accident, and use the term comparative negligence.  Under comparative negligence, the amount you can recover for your medical bills, wage loss and pain and suffering are reduced by any percent you are found at fault for an accident. 

    The insurance company will try to convince you that you were comparatively negligent for the accident just because you were there.  Don't become a victim of this common insurance company tactic.  An experienced personal injury attorney who routinely fights insurance companies on these fault issues can expose the flaw in their reasoning and recover a fair settlement for you. 

    If you've been injured in a car accident understand your rights. Contact us online or call us directly at 1.800.800.5678 for your free consultation.

    Download your free "Ultimate Guide For Automobile Accident Victims" fearutig everything you need to know to protect your rights and receive a free settlement.

  • Can I get a rental vehicle while my car is being repaired?

    Often, the simplest way to get you into a rental car is to get a rental through your own insurance policy, if you have rental coverage. 

    Alternatively, you may pay out-of-pocket for your rental then seek reimbursement from the other insurance company once it completes its investigation. 

    It is entirely appropriate for the insurance company to provide you with a rental vehicle that is comparable to the vehicle being repaired or totaled, particularly in situations where you require a particular type of vehicle for your job or business.

    Be mindful that most collision policies do not allow for endless rental coverage.  You are normally allowed to rent a vehicle until your vehicle is repaired, or until the insurance company issues you payment in a total loss situation provided that such coverage is included in your insurance policy.  You should inquire about a reasonable extension of the rental if you foresee a delay.

    Rental car costs can add up quickly. According to the Insurance Information Institute (III), a vehicle is in the shop for an average of two weeks after an accident. That can lead to rental car expenses of $500 or more. Accordingly, it is important to know your rights and to advocate for your fair recovery. 

    *Note- In Wisconsin you are responsible for purchasing insurance for your rental vehicle.  An at-fault insurance company in Illinois should cover that expense. 

    If you've been involved in a car accident resulting in damage to your vehicle, contact us online or call us directly at 1.800.800.5678 for a free consultation.

    You'll also want to download our free "Ultimate Guide For Automobile Accident Victims" loaded with everything you need to know to protect your rights and receive a fair settlement.

  • What if I owe more on my vehicle loan than my vehicle is worth?

    The insurance company is only required to fix your vehicle after a car accident or offer the fair market value for your vehicle in the event your vehicle is a total loss.  Fair market value is what you could expect to get for your vehicle if you tried to sell it yourself.  Often the fair market value may be less than what you owe on your loan. 

    If you were fortunate enough to have gap insurance as part of your car's insurance policy, your gap coverage will likely cover the difference between what you owe on your vehicle and what the insurance company says the vehicle is worth. 

    Unfortunately, those without gap coverage may find themselves still owing on a vehicle after it has been totaled out.  This area of the law is not favorable to the accident victim and may seem extremely unfair, particularly to those individuals driving a tried-and-true older vehicle with low resale value. 

    Have you been involved in a car accident? Contact us online or call us directly at 1.800.800.5678 for your free consultation.

  • Should I take my vehicle to the insurance company's repair shop to get my vehicle fixed?

    This decision belongs to you. The insurance company should not decide where you get your vehicle fixed after a car accident. Instead, you should make the decision that is in your best interest.

    Some Things to Think About

    Although you are not required to use a shop that is pre-approved by the insurance company, you may find that a pre-approved repair shop will have an easier time dealing with the insurance company on everyday issues that may arise, including cases in which the repairs exceed the estimate. Therefore, it may be less stressful for you to use one of these pre-approved repair shops - particularly if you are confident with the work that is done in such a shop.

    That being said, and with the knowledge that the insurance company will only pay for repairs that it believes to be reasonable, you are free to have your vehicle repaired anywhere you are comfortable. Thus, if you do not believe that there are any pre-approved repair shops in your area that will treat you fairly then you might consider having a different repair shop take care of your car.

    Car repairs can be expensive, inconvenient, and stressful and they may occur at a time when you have bigger concerns such as recovering from your car accident injuries. Accordingly, it is important to think about your options and to make the decision that is best for you.

  • Am I responsible for storage charges?

    Typically, yes.  Remember, it may take days, or in rare instances, several weeks before the other insurance company completes their investigation following your car accident.  If, for example, your vehicle is taken to a municipal storage lot, costly storage fees are accruing and it is very important that either you or a person you authorize retrieves your vehicle and personal items from storage.  If you have collision coverage through your own insurance policy, you can authorize your insurance company to move the vehicle to a lot that does not charge for storage.  In that case, your insurance company will need to pay the storage fees in order to have the vehicle released.  If you transfer the vehicle yourself, you can ask your insurance company to reimburse you for storage costs.

    If your vehicle is taken to a repair shop that ultimately performs the repairs, the repair shop may agree to waive its storage fees.  However, if the vehicle is deemed a total loss, the repair shop will likely want to be paid for having stored the vehicle until the time it is removed.  Ideally, if you are unable to move your vehicle from the accident site yourself, you need to make arrangements with the help of friends, family members, or road-side assistance to get the vehicle from the accident site to the repair shop or home.  The other insurance company will not automatically assume all storage costs, particularly those costs that could have been avoided with your prompt attention.

    Have you been involved in a car accident? Contact us online or call us directly at 1.800.800.5678 for your free consultation.

  • Will I need to transfer my vehicle title to the insurance company if my vehicle is considered a total loss?

    If your vehicle is deemed a total loss, the insurance company will insist that you transfer title of the vehicle to them so they can send it to be salvaged.  In order for that to be accomplished, your vehicle finance company must also release its interest in your vehicle, which will require the insurance company to pay off the balance owed.  Once the finance company is paid in full, you will receive any money that remains beyond the finance company's remaining balance on the vehicle.

    In some circumstances, the insurance company gives the car owner the option of keeping the vehicle, even though it has been totaled.  Under this circumstance, the insurance company is going to deduct the salvage value of the vehicle from the settlement amount, and the car owner has to take a salvage title. 

    If you've been involved in a car accident resulting in a totaled vehicle it's important to know your rights. Contact us online today or call us directly at 1.800.800.5678.

  • Will I lose my insurance deductible?

    Following a car accident, if you use your own insurance company, you will be out your deductible until your insurance company is able to recover that amount from the other insurance company.  In situations where the property damage aspect of your case is not resolved amicably through the insurance companies, your attorney may be able to include your deductible in the overall damages related to your case.  Thus, it is important for you to mention your deductible costs to your lawyer. It may not be your biggest expense after an accident, but it should be considered when negotiating a car accident settlement with the insurance company.

    Have you been injured in a car accident? Know your rights. Contact us online or call us directly at 1.800.800.5678.

  • How much will Hupy Abraham charge to assist me with my property damage claim?

    As a courtesy, we are pleased to assist our clients by handling their property damage claims free of charge.