Being involved in a car crash can be a shocking and overwhelming experience. You need to make sure that you are taking the necessary steps to protect yourself and your rights after an accident. An experienced Wausau car accident lawyer can guide you through the legal process, so you understand what steps to take to ensure you receive a positive outcome for your case.
At Hupy and Abraham, we have the experience to handle car accident cases and will fight for our clients, so they get the settlement they deserve.
Common Injuries Resulting From Car Accidents
Car accidents often result in serious injuries that require extensive medical treatment. These injuries may require long-term care or even permanent disability. The type of injury often depends on the severity of the crash.
Some common injuries that can occur due to a car accident include:
- Head injuries. Head injuries are among the most serious types of injury that can result from a car accident. This includes concussions and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs).
- Neck and spine injuries. Neck and spine injuries can range from minor strains to serious spinal cord damage. Whiplash is one of the most common neck injuries that happen after a car accident due to the sudden jerking motion of the head and neck caused by the impact.
- Bone fractures. Bone fractures are also a common outcome of motor vehicle collisions due to the high-impact forces involved. Depending on where they occur on the body, these fractures can range from being relatively minor such as broken fingers, to severe such as broken ribs. Some fractures may require surgery for proper treatment, while others may heal on their own with proper rest and rehabilitation therapy.
- Soft tissue damage. Soft tissue damage includes bruising or lacerations that occur when your skin tears open due to sudden impacts experienced during a motor vehicle crash.
- Internal bleeding. Internal bleeding is also possible if there is significant blunt-force trauma to any part of your body. Internal bleeding may not be noticeable right away, but it can be life-threatening if left untreated.
Steps to Follow if You’ve Been Injured in a Car Crash
If you have been injured in a Wausau car accident, it is essential to take certain steps to ensure that your legal rights are protected and your interests are represented. Some important steps to follow after a car crash include:
- Seek immediate medical attention. First and foremost, seek medical attention immediately after the crash, even if you don’t think you were injured. Some symptoms may not present themselves until days or weeks later, so it’s important to document your visit as soon as possible after the accident.
- Call 911. It is also important to contact law enforcement so that an official police report can be filed about the incident. This report will provide essential information, such as who was at fault for the accident and whether or not there were any witnesses present when it occurred.
- Gather as much evidence as possible. If you can remain at the scene, gather evidence, such as contact information for anyone involved in the crash. This can include the other driver, passengers, and any eyewitnesses to the accident. You may also want to take pictures of any damage caused by the accident for documentation purposes.
- Avoid posting on social media. You will want to avoid posting about the accident on social media or discussing the accident with anyone. Whatever you say or post can be held against you in your case and could affect who is held liable.
- Contact a Wausau car accident attorney. You will want to contact an experienced attorney who specializes in car accidents as soon as possible. Our car accident lawyer in Wausau, WI, (featured below) will advise you on how best to proceed with your case.
How Long After a Crash Can You Claim an Injury?
In Wisconsin, you have three years from the date of your car accident injury to file a claim against another driver or third party responsible for causing the accident or injury. This means that you must act quickly and retain legal representation as soon as possible after the crash in order to preserve your right to seek compensation for damages incurred due to your injury.
An experienced Wausau car accident lawyer can help you through this process and ensure that you have all of the necessary information to successfully pursue legal action against those responsible for your losses.
What Does a Car Accident Lawyer Do?
A car accident attorney in Wausau, WI, can make all the difference between getting a great settlement or just settling. An experienced car accident attorney knows the law inside and out and can provide insight and legal advice to help you obtain a fair settlement for the damages you and your family have suffered.
Not only will a car crash lawyer protect your legal rights, they can file a lawsuit for you, collect and preserve evidence, calculate your losses and damages, represent you in court (if necessary), and most importantly, they know how to negotiate with insurance companies so you don't settle for a lowball offer.
Why Hire a Car Accident Lawyer in Wausau
Hiring an experienced lawyer specializing in car accidents is essential since they will have extensive knowledge of local laws and insurance regulations that apply to your specific case. A car accident lawyer will work tirelessly on your behalf to get you the compensation you deserve for any injuries suffered as well as any property damage incurred during the crash.
In addition, an experienced Wausau car crash lawyer will also be able to negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf so that you do not have to worry about being taken advantage of during this already stressful time. If your claim is not settled with the insurance company, an experienced lawyer will represent you in court and fight for a full and fair settlement.
Our car accident lawyer in Wausau, WI, will review the facts of the case, evaluate any damages that might have occurred, and provide advice on how to seek compensation for the following:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of future income earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Out-of-pocket expenses related to the accident
Hiring a lawyer after a car accident will also give you peace of mind during what can be a very stressful process. Your lawyer will take care of all the paperwork while ensuring that your rights are protected throughout the process so that you don't have to worry about anything other than getting well again after your accident.
How to Find the Best Car Accident Attorney in Wausau
Finding the right lawyer for your car accident case does not have to be a daunting task since there are plenty of qualified attorneys available who specialize in these types of cases throughout the Wausau, Wisconsin area, that are ready and willing to help fight for justice on behalf of their clients. You will want to take some time to do research about each potential lawyer's past experience handling similar cases before deciding on whom should represent you. The lawyer you use should have experience in car accident cases and the resources available if your case goes to trial.
Asking friends or family for recommendations of lawyers they may have used in the past for similar cases is a great starting point for your search. You may also want to consider using a lawyer you may know personally or have used for something else prior.
When researching car accident lawyers, you can base your decision on whom to use on various factors, such as the type of settlements the lawyer has received for other clients. This can be done by looking at a lawyer’s case results. You can also read past client testimonials and check out what types of awards and accolades a lawyer has received to see how they rate in their local community. The legal team at Hupy and Abraham has been voted best and rated best by their clients and community.
Finally, you will want to meet with each car accident lawyer in person by scheduling a free consultation to discuss your case. At this initial meeting, be sure to ask plenty of questions since the answers can provide insight into how your case will be handled. You will want to use a lawyer you feel comfortable talking to and who is honest and trustworthy.
Contact Our Wausau Car Accident Lawyer for a Free Consult
If you or a loved one was injured in a car accident in Wausau, contact our teamas soon as possible. Our experienced car accident lawyer at Hupy and Abraham are available for a free consultation to discuss your case. To set up a confidential appointment, you can fill out our convenient contact form online or call us at 800-800-5678.