After a car accident, it can be easy to forget the big and small details of what has happened, and what you must do right away. Though often, it is the actions we take immediately following an accident that can have the greatest impact on a personal injury case.
To help drivers be better prepared, the experienced attorneys at Hupy and Abraham have provided this list to help you organize your needs in the first hours and minutes following your accident.
First 10 Minutes After A Car Accident
- Stay calm – assess yourself and any passengers.
- Call 9-1-1 immediately if there are any injuries.
- Move out of traffic IF it’s safe to do so.
- Turn hazard lights on, and stay out of the road.
- Call police – stay on the scene until they arrive.
- Be polite – but don’t admit to any fault.
- Take pictures if it’s safe (use cell camera).
- Exchange info with the other driver -- name, address, phone, license plate number, driver’s license information, insurance.
- Ask witnesses for names, phone numbers and addresses.
First 10 Hours After A Car Accident
- Secure your vehicle – remove all valuables and identification from the car.
- See a doctor ASAP, even if injuries seem minor.
- Record the weather, time, location, statements made, etc.
- File an accident report as required by the state’s law.
- Contact your insurance agent.
- Revisit the accident site – take photographs of anything important.
- Photograph any visible injuries.
- Obtain the police report when available.
- Get repair estimates for any damage to your car.
- Contact your employer if you can’t work.
Contact Hupy and Abraham …
- If you’ve been injured and/or there is extensive damage to property.
- Before speaking with the other drivers’ insurance companies.
- If you’re being pressured into a quick settlement.
- Before the time period for filing a claim expires.
To learn more, please read our FREE book, The Ultimate Guide for Automobile Accident Victims, or start an online chat with us to learn more about your legal rights and possible recovery.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, please contact Hupy and Abraham, at 800-800-5678 to set up a free consultation, or start a live chat with us anytime at Hupy.com.