Every June, we turn our attention toward an issue often overlooked – men’s health. Men’s Health Month seeks to raise awareness of preventable health problems and encourage early detection and treatment of disease among men and boys. At Hupy and Abraham, we see this month as an opportunity to encourage men to seek regular medical advice and early treatment for disease and preventable injuries.
Studies show that men do not see physicians nearly as often as women and are also more likely to be uninsured. On top of that, personal injury accidents are the third-largest cause of death for men in the United States.
Men Have a Higher Risk of Injury
- In 2010, the motor vehicle death rate for male drivers and passengers ages 16 to 19 was almost two times that of their female counterparts.
- Males account for nearly 80 percent of all fatal drownings in the U.S., nearly four times the rate for females.
- For persons of all ages, men are nearly three times as likely to die from traumatic brain injury-related injury as women.
- A disproportionate share of fatal work injuries involved men relative to their hours worked in 2012.
Even nonfatal personal injuries can result in months and even years of costly medical treatment, along with loss of income and other financial hardships. Luckily, there are steps that men, and their loved ones, can take to help promote healthier and safer lives!
Four Easy Tips to Promote Men’s Health Month
- Offer to drive your dad/brother/uncle/grandfather/significant other to a doctor’s appointment.
- Ask them to join you at the gym or for other fitness activities during the week.
- Give the gift of a gym membership, running shoes or other appropriate gift that encourages a healthy lifestyle for Father’s Day.
- Talk to teenage boys about the importance of safe and responsible driving.
Last year, to promote Men’s Health Month, we encouraged all of our male attorneys to share photos of how they choose to stay healthy and active! At home or the office, health should always be a priority.
At Hupy and Abraham, we strive to promote the health and safety of our clients, co-workers and families each day. We also fight vigorously to defend the legal rights of every injured client we represent. In the event that you or a loved one are injured in an accident due to the negligence of another, please contact us! Call Hupy and Abraham at 800-800-5678 or start a live chat 24/7 at Hupy.com.