May is National Bike Month. Many bicyclists will get their bikes out of storage and start to ride again after a long winter. As bikes start to fill up the roads and sidewalks, it is important to keep safety in mind.
When riding a bicycle, the operator is always taking a risk. Here are some safety tips to help prevent injury.
- Ride with traffic in the same direction.
- Use reflective clothing, lights and reflectors.
- Learn and use proper hand signals.
- Wear a helmet for protection always.
- Assume drivers do not see you and never stop in a driver’s blind spot.
- Notice parked cars, as someone may open a door, causing you to ride into it.
- Use bikes lanes when possible.
- Let the car next to you go first if you are stopped at a red light.
Biking is a wonderful way to start enjoying the weather this spring, while still being cautious and safe on the roads.
In the event you or a loved one is injured on a bicycle due to the dangerous or negligent actions of someone else, contact Hupy and Abraham right away. To do so, call 800-800-5678 or start a live chat anytime at hupy.com.