Summer is here and the road is calling your name! Road trips are often the perfect way to meet new people, explore new places and try new things.
However, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest number of traffic fatalities happen between July and September. Preparation is the key to a safe and memorable adventure.
All of us at Hupy and Abraham hope you get out on the road to make lifelong memories this summer. We also want you to be safe while doing so. Here are some things to remember before venturing out to make sure you come back in one piece.
- Get your vehicle road-ready. Take it in for regular maintenance – get a tuneup, oil change and battery and tire pressure checks.
- Keep an emergency kit in your car. Prepare for the unexpected by keeping these items handy:
- Cellphone and car charger
- First aid kit
- Jumper cables
- Candles and matches
- Nonperishable food items and extra water
- Take regular breaks on long drives and limit nighttime driving. Fatigue and decreased visibility make it harder to drive safely and respond quickly. Switching off driving duties is a great way to stay rested.
- Get a good night’s sleep. Before you hit the road, get a good night’s sleep. Go to bed early so you wake up fresh and rested.
- Keep you focus on the road. Avoid visual distractions, such as taking your eyes off the road while texting, reading or grooming. Avoid manual distractions, like removing your hands from the wheel to eat, change the radio or program your GPS.
- Share the road. Summer brings out motorcyclists, bicyclists and pedestrians. Be particularly cautious while driving around them. Keep your distance, stop when needed, maintain speed and adjust your mirrors so that you can see correctly.
- Never drink and drive. After one drink, you may not feel intoxicated. However, the alcohol and sugar from the drink will make you sleepy.
We wish you fun-filled adventures to new and exciting places this summer on the open road! In the event that you or a loved one is seriously injured in a car accident, the experienced automobile accident attorneys at Hupy and Abraham are here to help. Contact us at 800-800-5678 or start a live chat anytime at Hupy.com.