After the long summer days, August marks the time of year when children return to their structured schedules and head back to school for the year. Therefore, August has been named Back-to-School Safety Month to remind parents, children and drivers to be vigilant of the increased activity of school-aged children in the community.
Hupy and Abraham would like to remind everyone to safely share the roads with school buses, pedestrians and bicyclists, and provide children with the necessary knowledge to stay safe when heading to school and after.
Children should know to:
- Always cross the street with an adult if under 10 years old.
- Use crosswalks, cross at street corners and obey traffic signals when crossing streets.
- Never run into streets or cross in between parked cars.
- Exit a school bus and cross the street in front of the bus where the driver can see them.
Drivers should remember to:
- Slow down and be alert in residential neighborhoods and school zones.
- Take extra time to look for children at intersections, curbs and between cars.
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly and double-check for children.
- Watch for children on and near the road before and after school hours.
- Reduce any distractions inside your car by turning down music and putting away your phone to avoid talking or texting while driving.
For parents, if your kids are latchkey kids, or home alone after school for any amount of time, make sure they know to:
- Keep the doors locked and security systems on.
- Never tell someone on the phone that no adults are home.
- Find a list of emergency phone numbers if needed.
- Call you at work or on your cellphone when they get home.
- Follow the rules of what kind of food they can prepare and what appliances they’re allowed to use based on their age.
- Follow the guidelines of which friends can come over (if at all) and what’s expected of them.
Hupy and Abraham hopes that with these tips in mind, the start of school is safe and stress-free. We hope that students study hard and stay safe, and we wish them the best of luck as they return to school. Get a FREE DNT TXT N DRV or Yield To Pedestrians sticker HERE to help spread awareness in your community!
In the event that your child is injured by an inattentive driver on their way to or from school, please contact the experienced attorneys of Hupy and Abraham right away. Call 800-800-5678 for a free, no-obligation consultation, or start a live chat with us now at Hupy.com.