Placing elderly loved ones in the care of a nursing home or other assisted living facility can be a very challenging decision for any family to make. Reduced independence of the residents and acceptance of their limitations can be difficult. But, it is important to understand the great benefits that can come from nursing home facilities. From increased safety of the residents to help with small tasks to overall better quality of life, the positives greatly outweigh the negatives.
Nursing Home Abuse
However, a very serious issue is still taking place in nursing homes and assisted living facilities across the country that takes the form of abuse and neglect of the elderly patients. Here are some important statistics regarding nursing home abuse and neglect in the United States.
- Between 1999 and 2001, almost one-third of all nursing home facilities were cited for violations of federal standards that could cause harm or did harm elderly residents of those facilities.
- Nearly 10 percent of those homes had violations that posed a risk of serious injury or death, or that did cause deaths of elderly residents.
- More than 40 percent of nursing home residents have reported abuse, and more than 90 percent report that they or another resident of the facility have been neglected.
- Research from 2010 indicates that up to half of all nursing home attendants have admitted abusing or neglecting elderly patients.
- More than half of all certified nursing assistants (CNAs) in elder care facilities have admitted verbally abusing, yelling at and using foul language with elderly residents of care facilities.
It’s important to be aware of these statistics when considering placing a loved one into a nursing home or assisted care facility. Thorough research is necessary in finding out the best course of action for your senior in need. If you or a loved one has fallen victim to nursing home abuse or neglect, it’s important to seek legal action as soon as possible.
Legal Help To Fight Nursing Home Abuse
The attorneys at Hupy and Abraham are incredibly skilled in dealing with nursing home abuse and neglect and would be happy to take your case. Contact us online or call us directly at 800-800-5678.