Boy Scouts of America seeks to build character in our nation’s boys and train them for the responsibilities of participating in citizenship. This is an organization that Hupy and Abraham supports.
Below is a sampling of how we supported Boy Scouts in the Milwaukee area during the early 2000s:
- From 2001 – 2003, Hupy and Abraham sponsored Leslie Easterbrook (Police Academy, Rhonda on Laverne and Shirley) as the celebrity at the annual Milwaukee County Boy Scouts Sporting Clays event.
- In 2004, Hupy and Abraham sponsored John Laughlin (Ghost Rock, Knott’s Landing, The Rock, Officer and a Gentleman, China Beach and The Dukes of Hazard) as the celebrity at the annual Milwaukee County Boy Scouts Sporting Clays event. In 2004, over 80 shooters helped to raise approximately $28,000 for the Boy Scouts.
- In 2008, Hupy and Abraham, was a sponsor of the 12th Annual Sporting Clays Classic supporting the Milwaukee County Council of Boy Scouts. The event, which was held at Milford Hills Hunt Club on September 5, 2008, raised $55,000.00 for the Scouts. Through the efforts of sponsors such as our firm, Scouting programs are offered to over 20,000 Milwaukee youths. This worthy organization encourages boys to recognize the needs of others and take actions accordingly. This year, the chapter donated over 193,000 pounds of food collected by Scouts to needy families, and the organization’s Eagle Scouts volunteered over 17,000 hours to community projects.
- In 2009, Hupy and Abraham was a proud sponsor of the Boy Scouts of America Leadership Breakfast, which was held at the Pfister Hotel on February 5. This motivational event, chaired by Don Layden of the Metavante Corporation, highlighted many of the great things happening in and around Milwaukee. The breakfast was a huge success with over $648,000 raised to support Boy Scouts programs. The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law. There is no better person to talk about ethical and moral choices than the keynote speaker and Eagle Scout, Mike Schlappi, who was paralyzed from the waist down in a childhood accident. Mike uses his disability as a way to motivate others to make the right choices in life. As an author, Olympic gold medalist, husband and father of five, Mike has the unique ability to motivate others. His personal philosophy is "if you can't stand up, stand out!" Mike's hard work and dedication is an inspiration to all. Attorneys Michael Hupy, Tim Schelwat, Evan Claditis, Todd Korb, Jason Richard and Marcel Reneau attended the event on behalf of the firm. Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clark and JoAnne & Wayne Schelwat also attended the event and were guests at the Hupy table.
- On September 11, 2009, $60,000 was raised to support the local Boy Scout troop in Milwaukee at a sporting clays event held at Milford Hills Shooting Preserve. Hupy & Abraham sponsored actor Marshall Teague, and his wife Lindy, who served as the host couple, and helped raise an additional $15,000. Hupy & Abraham offered to match the first $5,000 donated by other attendees. Quad Graphics, the presenting sponsor of the event, matched Hupy & Abraham's offer. Attendees met the challenge, raising another $5,300, for a total from this part of the event of $15,300 for the Boy Scouts.
Our commitment to the Boy Scouts, and other community organizations did not end in 2009. Please browse our library of articles to find out what we’ve done in recent years, and please follow us on Facebook to find out more about our recent community events.