The warm summer weather and longer days are finally here. Summer brings many opportunities to spend time outside with the family swimming, camping and biking. But, it’s easy to forget to slow down and take the proper safety precautions. The experienced personal injury attorneys of Hupy and Abraham have compiled this list of general summer safety tips for the many common summer hazards you and your family may experience.
1. Be sun smart:
- Avoid cancer-causing sunburns by applying sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher.
- Be aware of the signs of heat exhaustion, and always remain well hydrated.
- Monitor the medication of seniors and people with heart conditions, diabetes and other health problems who will need to be extra cautious about the heat.
2. Be safe around water:
- Have young children or inexperienced swimmers wear life jackets around water.
- If you are near water and a child is missing, ALWAYS check the water first. Every second counts.
- Always swim with a buddy, and do not allow anyone to swim alone.
3. Be a safe cyclist, and alternatively, WATCH for bicycles:
- Wear a helmet on every bike ride, no matter how short or how close to home.
- Make sure your bicycle and clothes have reflectors to help drivers see you.
- Stay alert by never listening to music or talking on the phone while riding.
4. Be aware of children and pets in hot cars. NEVER leave a child or pet alone in a vehicle for any amount of time:
- In the summer, a closed car heats up as much as 20 degrees in 10 minutes.
- Consider placing shoes, bags or any important items in the back seat next to children, as a reminder to check the back seat.
- Be proactive by looking inside parked cars when walking through parking lots. If you spot a child that looks in serious distress, find a way into the car, and call 911.
5. Be careful around campfires and grills:
- With a gas grill, check air tubes for blockage from bugs or food grease.
- Ensure children and pets keep a safe distance from flames and are supervised by an adult.
- Teach children to stop, drop and roll if their clothing catches fire.
By following these tips, Hupy and Abraham is confident that you and your family will have a fun and safe summer. But in the unfortunate event that you or a loved one are injured while participating in a summer activity, due to the negligence of someone else, please contact Hupy and Abraham. Call 800-800-5678 for a free, confidential, no-obligation consultation today.