Wisconsin | Articles

What to Do If You’re in a Car Crash With a Baby or Young Child


Get Help Now


Young infant sleeping in a car seat

Even at the moment of impact your first thought was of your child in the backseat. Would she be okay when the accident was over? What could you do to make sure that she was okay after a car accident?

Here’s How You Can Help Protect a Baby or Young Child After a Crash

After the trauma of a car accident, it is important to:

  • Call 911. Make sure that first responders are on their way.
  • Try to prevent a secondary car crash by setting up cones, putting on your flashers, or otherwise alerting drivers of your presence.
  • Do not move your child until first responders come. If your child has a spinal cord or brain injury, then you do not want to risk making it worse.
  • Accept medical help for your child and yourself. Your child needs to be seen by a doctor to check for injuries, and if you are hurt then you need to be treated so that you can take care of your baby.
  • Call your child’s pediatrician. If emergency room doctors care for your infant, then it is important to follow up with your own doctor to make sure that your child gets the right care.
  • Watch carefully for symptoms of injury. These symptoms may include excessive crying, sleepiness, the inability to be consoled, lack of interest in rattles or toys, lack of interest in eating, or any other change in behavior.
  • Get a new car seat. Car seats should be replaced after every accident. A car seat that has been in a crash may be unable to provide adequate safety if another crash occurs.
  • Notify any babysitters, daycare workers, or other caretakers of the crash. Everyone should know what happened so that your child can be watched carefully and so that any symptoms of a possible injury can be reported to you and your child’s doctor.
  • Get the right ongoing medical help. If you think your child needs the specialized care of a certain type of doctor, such as a neurologist or an orthopedist, then you might have to fight for it.

Your child did not cause the wreck and should not have to live with the significant injuries that he suffered in the car crash. Instead, he should get the legal help that he needs to make a fair recovery.

Contact us online or call us directly at 800.800.5678 to find out more about your child’s rights and possible recovery. Please share this article on Facebook or Twitter so that other parents will know what to do if they are ever involved in a crash with their babies.

Jason F. Abraham
Connect with me
Managing Partner, Hupy and Abraham

Free Offers

Get Your FREE "DNT TXT N DRV" Bumper Sticker!

Get Your FREE "DNT TXT N DRV" Bumper Sticker!

Request your FREE “DNT TXT N DRV” bumper sticker and help the Wisconsin car accident attorneys at Hupy and Abraham raise awareness of distracted driving.

View Details