After a collision with a semi or 18-wheeler, you may be facing medical bills and lost wages that can quickly add up. You also may experience physical and emotional pain and suffering due to the incident. With the help of an experienced Davenport truck accident attorney, you do not have to face this situation alone.
At Hupy and Abraham, we can help protect your right to compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Below, our truck accident lawyer in Davenport, IA, details everything you need to know about hiring the right attorney for the job.
What Does a Davenport Truck Accident Lawyer Do?
If you’ve been involved in a truck crash, you may be considering hiring a lawyer to help you navigate the legal complexities that come with it. A good truck accident attorney in Davenport, IA, can help you understand your legal rights and secure compensation for damages such as medical bills, lost income, property damage, and more. They will also ensure that justice is served.
An experienced Davenport truck accident lawyer can do the following to help with your case:
- Negotiate with insurance companies. A truck accident lawyer can negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf, so you do not have to settle on your own. Your lawyer will be experienced in dealing with insurance companies and will know how much money you should receive for your case. This means that if an insurance company offers you an amount that isn’t fair, your lawyer will work to negotiate for more and ensure that any settlement is fair and equitable.
- Provide representation in court. If negotiations with the insurance company do not reach an agreement, it may be necessary to take your case to court. In this instance, a truck accident lawyer will represent you in court and determine the best legal strategy for your case. Your lawyer will also handle all legal aspects of the situation so that you don’t have additional stress placed upon yourself, allowing you to focus on recovering from any injuries sustained during the incident.
- Handle multi-defendant cases. In some cases, there are multiple defendants involved in an incident; this could include multiple drivers or even big trucking companies who have their own legal representation. An experienced truck accident lawyer will fight each party and work hard to ensure you get the maximum compensation available for your case, which would be difficult to do alone.
How Much Does a Lawyer Cost After a Truck Accident?
It is important to consider cost when looking for a lawyer after a truck accident. The vast majority of lawyers handling truck accident cases operate on a contingency fee basis. This means they will take on your case without charging any upfront fees and instead collect their payment from any settlement or jury award provided. Generally speaking, this means that you won't have to pay for legal services until after your case has been successfully resolved.
In addition to regular legal fees, many law firms require clients to cover certain out-of-pocket expenses related to the case. These costs can include filing fees, deposition costs, court reporter fees, expert witness testimony costs, and more. Depending on the complexity of your case and other factors surrounding it (such as whether or not it goes to trial), these out-of-pocket expenses can quickly add up. Fortunately, most law firms will front these costs for their clients, with reimbursement coming later once the case is resolved.
When to Consult a Lawyer for a Truck Accident?
Truck accidents can be more complicated than other types of car crashes due to several factors, including the size and weight of commercial trucks, their complex design and operation, as well as multiple parties potentially being responsible for an accident. This means contacting an experienced Davenport truck accident lawyer immediately following a truck accident is essential.
It is important to seek professional legal assistance as soon as possible after being involved in an accident with a commercial truck, as there are certain time limits within which you must file any paperwork related to insurance claims or lawsuits against those responsible for your injuries. In Davenport, as is the case in the rest of Iowa, the statute of limitations for filing a truck accident claim is two years from the date of your injury. Hiring an experienced attorney will ensure that you meet all necessary deadlines and that your claim is filed properly.
How to Find a Truck Accident Attorney in Davenport
It’s important to find an experienced lawyer who has successfully handled truck accident cases in the past. When looking for a lawyer, it is also important to make sure that they are knowledgeable about local laws related to truck accidents. Different states have different laws regarding who can be held responsible after an accident—the driver, their employer, or both—and having someone familiar with those laws can make all the difference when filing a lawsuit or negotiating a settlement.
You can ask friends or family for recommendations of lawyers they may have used in the past for similar cases or consider using a lawyer you may know personally. In addition, researching lawyers online can help you identify possible options. Several factors can help in deciding on what lawyer will be best to represent your case, such as:
- Case results provide examples of what types of settlements other truck accident clients have been awarded for their cases.
- Past client testimonials can show you how satisfied other truck accident clients have been with the lawyers for their cases.
- Awards and accolades demonstrate how a lawyer is rated in their community and what recognition they have received. Hupy and Abraham have been voted best and rated best by their clients and community.
Finally, after narrowing down your options, you will want to schedule a free consultation to meet with each potential lawyer. During this initial meeting, be sure to ask questions since the answers to your questions and your gut feeling should help you choose the right Davenport truck accident lawyer for your case.
What to Ask a Truck Crash Lawyer During a Consult
It is important to ask certain questions during your initial consultation with a Davenport truck crash attorney. Doing so will give you an idea of their qualifications and experience and help you determine if they are the best fit for your case.
Some key questions to ask during your initial consultation include the following:
- What are your qualifications? One of the most important things to consider when meeting with a truck accident lawyer is their qualifications and experience. Ask them about their educational background, licensure, and certifications.
- How long have you been practicing law? It may also be helpful to ask how long they have been practicing law and what kinds of cases they specialize in. This information will provide insight into whether or not this individual has the qualifications necessary to handle your case successfully.
- How would you handle my case? Another good question to ask is how this particular lawyer would handle your case. This will allow them to explain their approach and provide details on their strategy for winning your case.
- What is your fee structure? Finally, it is important to understand exactly what fees are included in the attorney’s services before signing anything with them. Ask about hourly rates, retainer fees, costs associated with filing documents or attending hearings, etc., so there are no surprises later on down the line when it comes time for payment of services rendered.
- What challenges do you see with my case? Understanding what the types of challenges are with your case can give insight into how the lawyer will handle them and if they are willing to take on the challenge.
When consulting with a truck accident attorney, these are just some of the questions that you should ask at your initial meeting before making any decisions about working together on your case. Remember, if you feel uncomfortable or unsure about anything discussed with the attorney at any point during the consultation process, feel free to ask for clarification.
Contact Our Davenport Truck Accident Lawyer for a Free Consult
If you or a loved one was injured in a Davenport truck accident, contact our truck collision lawyer immediately. Our experienced truck accident lawyer in Davenport, IA, is available for a free consultation to discuss your case. To set up a confidential appointment, you can fill out our convenient contact form online or call us at 800-800-5678.