As drivers, it is important to be prepared for the unexpected to happen, but especially in winter. While we cannot predict when a situation will happen, having these items accessible can help you when one does occur. Here are seven things you should always keep in your vehicle:
- Snow and Ice Scraper: One of the most used items in your vehicle during the winter months is most likely a snow and ice scraper. Snow and ice can be unpredictable, but having a scraper on hand will keep you prepared.
- Winter Clothing: When running a short errand, you may not always dress ready for winter weather. Having gloves, a hat, extra socks and a sweatshirt in the trunk of your vehicle can make a situation less dangerous if you get stranded.
- Blanket: Getting stranded in the winter with a dead car battery also means no heat. It can get cold inside a vehicle fast, so having a blanket to keep you warm is always a good idea.
- First Aid Kit: Having a first aid kit should always be a necessity, but can be crucial if someone is injured during the winter months. Emergency vehicle response time can be much slower in winter weather, so it is important to give basic first aid until assistance can arrive.
- Flashlight: Having a flashlight in your vehicle year-round is always a good idea, but especially during the winter when it gets dark much earlier in the day.
- Jumper Cables: Winter months can be hard on your car battery. You may have to wait for assistance if your car dies, but having jumper cables allows you to get help from a passing driver or friend.
- Snacks and Water: If you get stranded, you will most likely have to wait for assistance for an unknown amount of time. Having nonperishable snacks and water stored in your car will taste good and can help keep yourself calm in these types of situations.
It is always a good idea to stay prepared when driving in winter weather. You may not need these items, but it is easy to make room in your trunk in case the unknown happens.
In the event that you or a loved one has been hurt in an accident, the experienced attorneys of Hupy and Abraham may be able to help you. We will go above and beyond the call of duty to make sure that you are treated fairly, provide you with the personal attention that you deserve and use our experience of helping more than 70,000 injured people make successful recoveries. Our personal injury law firm is here when you need us.
Contact us anytime -- 24/7/365 -- by phone or online chat to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation today.