As riders, we always need to be prepared for the unexpected to happen on the road. While we can’t predict every situation that might come up while riding, there are a few things you should consider carrying on your motorcycle for every ride. Let’s look at five things you should always have on your bike:
- First Aid Kit – While we hope that we won’t need one, a first aid kit is very important to have with you on every ride. With the right kit, you can easily handle any small cuts or injuries, or help address more serious wounds until help arrives.
- Cell Phone – A phone can act as a navigation device, a camera in case of an accident, a way to contact someone in case of an emergency or a source of entertainment like music or podcasts. If you’re looking for something to listen to on your ride, Hupy and Abraham’s “Tell Them You Mean Business” podcast includes stories and interviews with interesting people in the motorcycle community.
- Tool Kit – Keep a small tool kit on your bike with screwdrivers, sockets, pliers and any other tools you may need to replace or fix broken parts on your ride. Sometimes having the right tool can help you in a situation where you otherwise would have been stranded.
- Tire Gauge – Proper tire maintenance is key to having a safe and enjoyable ride. Riding with tires that are not at the proper pressure can make your ride inefficient or even dangerous. Always carry a tire gauge so that you can check your pressure before a ride and during long trips.
- Replacement Bulbs and Fuses – Fuses can go out at any time, causing your bike to not function properly. If a fuse is blown, it can affect your bike starting and things like your light system. Always carry spares just in case. The same goes for your bike’s lights. Always carry spare bulbs for each of your lights, since you won’t be able to ride safely without them, especially at night.
It’s always best to stay prepared while you’re riding your motorcycle to help ensure your safety. Your bike may allow you to carry more than the things on this list, but you should always at least have these few things on your bike. Stay safe and have a great ride!
Hupy and Abraham has been supporting motorcyclists for over 50 years. Our firm works to educate the public about being aware of motorcycle riders with the “Watch for Motorcycles” campaign. We also support the motorcycle community through events and sponsorships. If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident, contact Hupy and Abraham right away at HUPY.COM so we can start fighting for you.