It can be confusing to understand what steps to take following an accident and what to do to file a claim. Having an experienced Milwaukee car accident lawyer on your side can guide you through the legal process and help you get the settlement you deserve.
Steps to Take After a Milwaukee Car Accident
After being involved in a car accident in Milwaukee, WI, there are certain steps to take that can help protect your rights and possible compensation. These include the following:
- Seek medical attention. Seeking immediate medical attention is essential, even if injuries seem minor at the time. Prompt medical evaluation creates documentation that strengthens your claim's validity and ensures injuries are treated appropriately.
- Call the police. Contacting law enforcement is vital, as they will prepare an official accident report. This report serves as evidence when filing an insurance claim or pursuing legal action.
- Gather evidence. Documenting the accident scene is essential to establish liability. If you can remain at the scene, gather evidence such as photographs of the vehicles involved, the surrounding environment, road conditions, traffic signals, and any visible injuries sustained by those involved. You will also want to obtain contact information from any witnesses at the scene and from other parties involved in the accident.
- Consult an attorney. Consulting a skilled Milwaukee car accident attorney immediately following the accident can greatly enhance your chances of a successful claim. An attorney can help you navigate the complex legal process to ensure you get a fair settlement.
Damages Available in a Milwaukee Car Accident Claim
When filing a car accident claim in Milwaukee, WI, there are various types of damages that you may be able to recover, such as:
- Medical expenses. Medical expenses include the cost of hospitalization, medical treatments, surgeries, medication, rehabilitation, and future medical expenses related to the accident.
- Property damage. Compensation for property damage covers repairing or replacing your damaged vehicle and other personal belongings affected by the accident.
- Lost wages. If the accident leads to temporary or permanent disability, you may claim compensation for lost wages during the recovery period and the applicable loss of future earning potential.
- Pain and suffering. Non-economic damages like physical pain and emotional suffering can also be claimed as part of the settlement.
Why You Need a Car Accident Lawyer in Milwaukee ASAP
Seeking the assistance of a qualified Milwaukee car accident lawyer can be invaluable for many reasons. An experienced attorney has in-depth knowledge of personal injury laws and can navigate the complexities of the legal system, ensuring you meet all necessary deadlines and requirements.
In Wisconsin, the statute of limitations for filing a car accident claim is generally three years from the date of the accident. A lawyer can ensure your claim is filed within this deadline since failing to do so forfeits your right to seek compensation.
In addition, a lawyer will do the following to help with your car accident injury claim:
- Build a strong case. A skilled attorney will gather evidence, interview witnesses, and collaborate with experts to build a strong case, strengthening your chances of a successful claim.
- Determine a fair value for your claim. A lawyer will calculate all damages suffered from the accident so you can seek the maximum compensation.
- Negotiate with insurance companies. Insurance adjusters may pressure you to settle your claim for the lowest possible amount. A lawyer will file a claim with the insurance company and negotiate on your behalf to secure a fair settlement that adequately covers your damages.
- Provide trial representation. If a fair settlement cannot be reached with the insurance company, a lawyer will represent you in court and fight for your rights before a judge and jury.
Contact Our Milwaukee Car Accident Attorney for a Free Consult
If you or a loved one were injured in an auto accident, contact our experienced car accident lawyer at Hupy and Abraham in Milwaukee, WI. We are available for a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss your case and offer a Win or It’s Free Guarantee.
To schedule a confidential appointment, please fill out our convenient contact form or call us at 800-800-5678.