Filing a lawsuit in court begins the first steps toward your negligent security recovery

“Officially” is one of the key words in this question. While you may try to negotiate a settlement of your negligent security claim either directly with the property owner or with the property owner’s insurance company, those negotiations do not mean that you have officially started a negligent security case in the state of Illinois.

Instead, Your Case Officially Begins When You File a Lawsuit in Court

Your case must be filed in court according to the rules of the court and before the statute of limitations has expired. In Illinois, you need to file the following with the court in order to bring a civil personal injury case, such as a negligent security case:

  • A complaint. The complaint details the reasons why the defendant provided you with negligent security, how that negligent security led to your injuries, and what damages you are seeking from the court.
  • A summons. The summons provides the defendant with notice that he is being sued. The summons may be served through the sheriff’s office or—in limited circumstances—through certified mail.
  • A filing fee. This fee will depend on the amount of damages that you are seeking in your case.

These forms and an updated list of filing fees are available from the clerk’s office in your county’s Circuit Court.

You Don’t Have to File on Your Own

Instead, if you have significant damages, then it is important to schedule a free consultation with a local personal injury lawyer before you file your case. An attorney who is experienced in negligent security litigation can draft a complaint for you, begin your case before the statute of limitations expires, and fight for your full and fair award of damages.

To find out more about how a negligent security case works in Illinois or to schedule your free consultation with an experienced lawyer, please call us anytime at 1-800-800-5678.

Jason F. Abraham
Connect with me
Helping car accident and personal injury victims throughout Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa since 1993.