Have Questions for Our Attorneys? We’ve Got Your Answers!

Read More +

Get Help Now


From helping you after a dog attack or truck accident in Wisconsin to defending your rights as a rider, the personal injury trial attorneys at Hupy & Abraham will be fierce advocates in your time of need.

With offices across Wisconsin, Illinois, and Iowa, and representing clients hurt by slip and fall incidents, car accidents, wrongful deaths, drug and medical device injuries, dog bites, nursing home abuse and motorcycle crashes, we are available where you need us and when you need us.

Contact our professional team of Midwest injury attorneys by calling 800-800-5678 today for your free consultation.

  • Page 2
  • What if I owe more on my vehicle loan than my vehicle is worth?

    The insurance company is only required to fix your vehicle after a car accident or offer the fair market value for your vehicle in the event your vehicle is a total loss.  Fair market value is what you could expect to get for your vehicle if you tried to sell it yourself.  Often the fair market value may be less than what you owe on your loan. 

    If you were fortunate enough to have gap insurance as part of your car's insurance policy, your gap coverage will likely cover the difference between what you owe on your vehicle and what the insurance company says the vehicle is worth. 

    Unfortunately, those without gap coverage may find themselves still owing on a vehicle after it has been totaled out.  This area of the law is not favorable to the accident victim and may seem extremely unfair, particularly to those individuals driving a tried-and-true older vehicle with low resale value. 

    Have you been involved in a car accident? Contact us online or call us directly at 1.800.800.5678 for your free consultation.

  • Should I take my vehicle to the insurance company's repair shop to get my vehicle fixed?

    This decision belongs to you. The insurance company should not decide where you get your vehicle fixed after a car accident. Instead, you should make the decision that is in your best interest.

    Some Things to Think About

    Although you are not required to use a shop that is pre-approved by the insurance company, you may find that a pre-approved repair shop will have an easier time dealing with the insurance company on everyday issues that may arise, including cases in which the repairs exceed the estimate. Therefore, it may be less stressful for you to use one of these pre-approved repair shops - particularly if you are confident with the work that is done in such a shop.

    That being said, and with the knowledge that the insurance company will only pay for repairs that it believes to be reasonable, you are free to have your vehicle repaired anywhere you are comfortable. Thus, if you do not believe that there are any pre-approved repair shops in your area that will treat you fairly then you might consider having a different repair shop take care of your car.

    Car repairs can be expensive, inconvenient, and stressful and they may occur at a time when you have bigger concerns such as recovering from your car accident injuries. Accordingly, it is important to think about your options and to make the decision that is best for you.

  • Am I responsible for storage charges?

    Typically, yes.  Remember, it may take days, or in rare instances, several weeks before the other insurance company completes their investigation following your car accident.  If, for example, your vehicle is taken to a municipal storage lot, costly storage fees are accruing and it is very important that either you or a person you authorize retrieves your vehicle and personal items from storage.  If you have collision coverage through your own insurance policy, you can authorize your insurance company to move the vehicle to a lot that does not charge for storage.  In that case, your insurance company will need to pay the storage fees in order to have the vehicle released.  If you transfer the vehicle yourself, you can ask your insurance company to reimburse you for storage costs.

    If your vehicle is taken to a repair shop that ultimately performs the repairs, the repair shop may agree to waive its storage fees.  However, if the vehicle is deemed a total loss, the repair shop will likely want to be paid for having stored the vehicle until the time it is removed.  Ideally, if you are unable to move your vehicle from the accident site yourself, you need to make arrangements with the help of friends, family members, or road-side assistance to get the vehicle from the accident site to the repair shop or home.  The other insurance company will not automatically assume all storage costs, particularly those costs that could have been avoided with your prompt attention.

    Have you been involved in a car accident? Contact us online or call us directly at 1.800.800.5678 for your free consultation.

  • Will I need to transfer my vehicle title to the insurance company if my vehicle is considered a total loss?

    If your vehicle is deemed a total loss, the insurance company will insist that you transfer title of the vehicle to them so they can send it to be salvaged.  In order for that to be accomplished, your vehicle finance company must also release its interest in your vehicle, which will require the insurance company to pay off the balance owed.  Once the finance company is paid in full, you will receive any money that remains beyond the finance company's remaining balance on the vehicle.

    In some circumstances, the insurance company gives the car owner the option of keeping the vehicle, even though it has been totaled.  Under this circumstance, the insurance company is going to deduct the salvage value of the vehicle from the settlement amount, and the car owner has to take a salvage title. 

    If you've been involved in a car accident resulting in a totaled vehicle it's important to know your rights. Contact us online today or call us directly at 1.800.800.5678.

  • Will I lose my insurance deductible?

    Following a car accident, if you use your own insurance company, you will be out your deductible until your insurance company is able to recover that amount from the other insurance company.  In situations where the property damage aspect of your case is not resolved amicably through the insurance companies, your attorney may be able to include your deductible in the overall damages related to your case.  Thus, it is important for you to mention your deductible costs to your lawyer. It may not be your biggest expense after an accident, but it should be considered when negotiating a car accident settlement with the insurance company.

    Have you been injured in a car accident? Know your rights. Contact us online or call us directly at 1.800.800.5678.

  • How much will Hupy Abraham charge to assist me with my property damage claim?

    As a courtesy, we are pleased to assist our clients by handling their property damage claims free of charge.

  • What are your hours?

    Hupy & Abraham office hours are 8:00 am – 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday and 10:00 am –2:00 pm Saturdays.  With extended hours and Saturdays we are always there when our clients need us.  With 24 hours phones in service, there is always someone available to answer your questions or help you if you have been involved in an accident.  There is always someone on call to help you when the need arises.

    You can always contact us online or call us directly at 1.800.800.5678.