Yes. Even if the truck accident was not your fault, there are certain mistakes that can make your fair recovery more difficult. However, if you are aware of the potential mistakes that you can actively try to avoid them and thereby protect your legal rights.
Five Important Things NOT To Do After a Truck Crash
If you’ve been hurt in a truck accident, then we encourage you not to:
- Apologize. Try not to say that you are sorry at the scene of the crash. It may be misunderstood as a claim of negligence rather than a simple statement about being sorry that the crash occurred.
- Speculate about what happened. Do not make any guesses about why the truck crash occurred. The police will conduct an investigation at the accident scene and your lawyer will gather additional evidence in order to determine exactly what happened and who was at fault.
- Discuss the accident with anyone other than your lawyer. Anything that you say may be misconstrued and used against you later. Thus, it is important to direct any insurance adjusters or anyone else who wants to talk about the crash to your attorney.
- Fail to follow your doctor’s orders. Failing to follow your doctor’s treatment plan could hurt your physical recovery and it could make your legal and financial recovery more difficult.
- Post on social media. Insurance adjusters and defense lawyers will be looking to your Facebook page, Twitter feed, Instagram account, and other forms of social media to determine the extent of your injuries. It is important not to post about the accident, your injuries, or any of your activities online.
While we encourage you not to do these things, we know that the time immediately following a truck crash can be confusing. One mistake may not jeopardize your entire recovery, but the steps that you take now to protect that recovery may be even more important. Following a truck accident you should speak with an experienced truck accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call us directly at 800.800.5678 for a free consultation today and learn more tips for protecting your truck accident recovery.