In an earlier article, we discussed Wisconsin’s near-unique status in not requiring drivers to have liability insurance coverage. We saw how the Safety Responsibility Law attempts to give incentives for drivers to buy insurance but is only partially successful.

If you are injured in a serious Wisconsin motor vehicle accident, what happens if the driver at fault is uninsured—and penniless? Does that mean you can’t recover money for your medical bills and lost wages?

Luckily, it doesn’t mean that at all. You can get compensation for your Wisconsin auto accident with an uninsured driver. The process can be pretty tricky, so you will need the experienced Wisconsin car crash attorneys at Hupy and Abraham to guide you.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Uninsured motorist coverage is part of your car insurance package. Under Wisconsin law, all car insurance policies MUST include uninsured motorist coverage. If you are injured by an uninsured driver, then your own insurance takes over. It will compensate you for your injuries, up to the limits of the policy. This coverage also applies to hit-and-run accidents as well as “underinsured” drivers. These drivers carry insurance but not enough to compensate you fully. Financial planners often call this whole package “UM/UIM insurance” (uninsured motorist/underinsured motorist).

In Wisconsin, full liability insurance coverage is generally considered to be “50/100/55 insurance.” In means, for any one serious motor vehicle accident, the insurance company will pay up to:

$50,000 for all injuries to any one individual; and
$100,000 for all injuries to all covered individuals; and
$55,000 for all property damage.

There is an important fact to bear in mind with uninsured motorist coverage: If you pursue a lawsuit against the liable uninsured or underinsured driver, any compensation you win will usually reduce your UM/UIM insurance check.

Getting What You Deserve

Getting all the money that you deserve after a collision with a Wisconsin uninsured driver can be a challenge. Sometimes you need help. That’s where the law firm of Hupy and Abraham comes to your rescue, our staff eager to help in any way.

Have You Been Injured In A Wisconsin, Illinois or Iowa Car Accident?

If you've been injured in a car accident you should speak to an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible. You can contact us online or call our office directly at 800.800.5678 to schedule your free consultation with one of our car accident lawyers. We have been helping car accident victims since 1964 and service clients throughout Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa

Jason F. Abraham
Connect with me
Helping car accident and personal injury victims throughout Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa since 1993.