Answers to Your Questions About Slip and Fall Accidents

Read More +

Get Help Now

  • What does a pharmaceutical attorney in Des Moines do?
  • How can a truck accident attorney in Gurnee help me?
  • What is a wrongful death claim?
  • What should I do after a slip and fall injury?
  • Can a Milwaukee motorcycle crash attorney at Hupy and Abraham get me the compensation I need?

From helping you after a dog attack or truck accident in Wisconsin to defending your rights as a rider, the personal injury trial attorneys at Hupy & Abraham will be fierce advocates in your time of need.

With offices across Wisconsin, Illinois, and Iowa, and representing clients hurt by slip and fall incidents, car accidents, wrongful deaths, drug and medical device injuries, dog bites, and motorcycle crashes, we are available where you need us and when you need us.

Contact our professional team of Midwest injury attorneys by calling 800-800-5678 today for your free consultation.

  • Page 3
  • My daughter tripped and fell while attending a birthday party in Cedar Rapids. Who is responsible for paying her medical bills?

    We are sorry to hear about your daughter’s injuries and we wish her a full and fast recovery. If she was seriously injured then, as you already know, her medical bills can add up fast.

    A Number of Factors Will Determine Who Pays

    Before we can give you an accurate answer about who is ultimately responsible for paying your child’s medical costs, we would need to talk to you and to get more information. However, even before we do that, you can consider the following:

    • Where was the party? The property owner may be responsible if there was a dangerous condition on the property that the owner knew, or should have known, about prior to your daughter’s injuries. Thus, it is important to know if the party was at a party facility such as a Chuck E. Cheese restaurant, the Splash Pad at Daniels Park, or a friend’s house in Bowman Woods.
    • What caused your child to fall? If your child fell because of her own carelessness or negligence, then there may be no claim.
    • Who was supervising your child? If your child was not appropriately supervised or did not get prompt medical attention then that could be relevant to your child’s claim.


    Of course, there may also be other factors that are relevant in determining who should pay your child’s medical bills and for her other injuries. You can learn more about how Iowa law applies to your child’s case by contacting us directly and by browsing the free videos and resources available on our website.

  • I was injured when I slipped on a wet floor in a Cedar Rapids grocery store. I am eight months pregnant. Could the fall cause me to lose my baby? What should I do?

    Pregnancy affects a woman’s balance and increases the risk of injury in an Iowa slip and fall. Fortunately, you are more likely to be injured than your unborn child. Your baby is protected in your womb by the tough membranes of the uterus and the cushioning provided by the amniotic fluid.

    It is very rare for a slip and fall to cause injury to a fetus, but you should still seek medical care even if there are no outward signs of injury.

    A pregnant woman should see a doctor after any major fall because there could be damage to the placenta. Signs of damage to the placenta include vaginal bleeding, leaking amniotic fluid, abdominal pain, and uterine contractions. These symptoms require immediate medical attention. So, your first step should be to contact your midwife or doctor.

    Once you and your baby have been checked by a professional, you will want to take steps to protect your injury claim. Since pregnancy can affect your balance, it is very important to show that your injury was caused by negligence rather than poor balance.

    Take These Steps to Protect Your Iowa Slip and Fall Claim

    • Report your injury to the owner or manager of the property where you fell. Ask to fill out an accident report.
    • See if you can determine what caused your fall. Take pictures if possible.
    • Get the name and phone number of anyone who witnessed the fall.
    • Write down everything you remember about the accident.
    • Keep the clothes you wearing at the time of the incident; they may be used as evidence.


    Don’t sign anything until you have spoken with a personal injury attorney. Hupy and Abraham offers free consultations to injury victims. Take advantage of our free consultation offer to learn about your rights and whether you have an Iowa slip and fall claim.

  • How can I avoid getting hurt in a slip and fall accident when the light is dim?

    Staying safe while trekking through stores, in restaurants, or along sidewalks can be difficult enough when lighting is bright. It’s even more challenging in the dark. Obstacles become much more treacherous; hazards are harder to see. Because of this, there should be adequate lighting provided for those who will be in the area. Failing to do so can result in an injury caused by a slip and fall accident.

    The best way to prevent a slip and fall accident caused by a low-light situation is to avoid the dark area altogether. However, you may be unaware of the dark area or obstacles that may lie within. Following are some tips you can use to avoid a slip and fall accident while in low-light situations:

    • Ask for light. If you believe the area you are in is too dimly lit for you to walk safely, ask for light. Simply let the staff know that you feel unsafe walking in the dark area and ask them to turn on additional lights.
    • Let your eyes adjust. You may find yourself in a situation where you are in a dark area and must get out. Before moving forward, take a few minutes to let your eyes adjust to the low-light condition so that you can see better.
    • Ask for an escort. To ensure your safety, you may need to be escorted through the dark area. Find someone who knows the area or has a flashlight or other light sourse to guide you to safety.


    If you would like to learn more about slip and fall accidents and personal injury claims in Wisconsin, follow the related links. To discuss your situation with an experienced attorney, fill out the contact form found on this page. Hupy and Abraham accepts clients across Wisconsin, Illinois, and Iowa.

  • I have developed blood clots after being injured in a slip and fall accident. Can you tell me what the types of blood thinners will be used for treatment?

    Suffering from a slip and fall accident can be very dangerous, and the injuries resulting from it can be deadly. Sadly, the initial injuries are not the only dangers that are involved. A slip and fall victim may develop blood clots while trying to heal from her initial injuries.

    Blood clots can be as deadly as—if not more deadly than—the initial injuries of the slip and fall accident. Because of this it is important to recognize the signs of a blood clot, such as swelling, pain, warmth or fatigue. It is also important to be diagnosed by your medical professional.

    If have been diagnosed with blood clots, your doctor will want to begin treatment. Most likely, as a part of your treatment, you will be prescribed an anticoagulant medication, also known as a blood thinner. Some of the common types of anticoagulants used to treat blood clots are:

    • Heparin. This form of blood thinner is very strong and fast-acting. It is typically administered through a needle in a vein but can also be given by injecting it under the skin. Its affects work almost instantly and is generally administered in a hospital setting.
    • Low-molecular-weight heparins (LMWH). LMWH is actually very similar to heparin. This form of anticoagulant is not as strong and can be taken at home through self-injection.
    • Warfarin. This anticoagulant is used as a long-term medication that is administered through pill form. It takes longer to take effect, usually five to seven days.


    If you have sustained injury due to a slip and fall accident it is important to seek compensation for your damages. To discuss your legal options call 800-800-5678 today.

  • Are theme park rides safe?

    Each year 297 million people visit the more than 400 U.S. theme parks. Together, they take 1.7 billion rides. The International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) claims that only 1,415 injuries occur making the odds of injury less than one in 24 million. They also say that most of these injuries are minor, with few resulting in emergency room visits.

    But these statistics don’t agree with federal Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) records. According to the CPSC, about 8,800 people a year are injured on amusement park rides, 3,600 people are injured on inflatable amusement park attractions (inflatable slides and moon bounces), and 3,100 are hurt on water slides. The CPSC only counts injuries that resulted in emergency room visits.

    Amusement Park Injuries

    • Lacerations
    • Broken bones
    • Sprains and strains
    • Torn ligaments
    • Head, neck, and back injuries caused by bumper car ride crashes
    • Head, neck, and back injuries caused by spinning rides and roller coasters
    • Head injuries caused when detached objects hit a rider’s head
    • Drowning and near-drowning on water slides and other water rides
    • Brain aneurysms from fast rides
    • Traumatic brain injury caused by the g-forces of fast rides
    • Stroke caused by trauma to ligaments in the neck
    • Death from falling or being thrown from a ride


    The CPSC also tracks the causes of amusement park ride injuries and fatalities.

    Causes of Amusement Park Injuries

    • Mechanical failure
    • Improper operation of the ride
    • A passenger’s failure to follow instructions
    • The inherent nature of the ride


    The federal government regulates mobile amusement park rides. These are the rides that travel from one location to another. Fixed-site rides, like those at Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, are regulated by the states. Only 28 states actually inspect and regulate roller coaster rides. The rest rely on insurance companies and private contractors to perform safety inspections.

    Because of the lack of regulations, it can be difficult to determine whether an amusement park is responsible for an injury. Anyone who is injured on an amusement park ride should consult an experienced personal injury attorney. The attorney will be able to determine if the park is liable for the injury.

    If you would like to discuss your own amusement park injury case, please call Hupy and Abraham at 800-800-5678.

  • I recently suffered a torn ACL during a slip and fall accident and was told I will need surgery to repair it. Can you give me some advice on how I can prepare for the surgery?

    Suffering from a slip and fall accident can bring on a great deal of pain and agony, especially when the victim experiences an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury. An ACL injury can be difficult to recover from and can cause long-term complications. It may also lead to financial hardship as medical costs build up and the victim is forced to miss work.

    Minor ACL injuries can sometimes be treated by therapy and staying off the injured leg. For more severe ACL injuries, the victim may need to undergo surgery in order to properly heal. Any form of ACL surgery is considered an invasive operation and should be taken seriously.

    To be prepared for your ACL surgery, you should:

    • Find a doctor. The key to having a successful surgery is to find a doctor with experience and knowledge in performing ACL surgeries. Before deciding which doctor to trust, take a little time to do some research.
    • Educate yourself. Go into your doctor appointments and surgery full of knowledge and understanding. Take the time to read up on ACL injuries and surgeries. The Internet provides great sites such as WebMD to learn about ACL injuries.
    • Find support. It is important that you know that you don’t have to suffer the financial burden of the surgery if the slip and fall was caused by the negligence of another. Hupy and Abraham has knowledgeable slip and fall attorneys who can discuss your legal options with you.

    To find out more about how we can help you with your slip and fall claim, call 800-800-5678 today and receive a free case evaluation. You can also request a FREE copy of our DVD for injury victims, Secrets Insurance Companies Don't Want You To Know.

  • I was shopping at a Des Moines department store when I had to use the restroom. The floor had been mopped, but it looked dry. There were no warning cones or signs. I slipped on the wet floor and injured my back and neck. Is the store liable for my injury?

    When we use a public restroom, we think that germs are the biggest danger. But you are more likely to slip on a wet restroom floor than you are to get sick from using a Wal-Mart bathroom.

    Des Moines store owners have a duty to provide a safe environment for their customers and employees. Since wet floors are a slip and fall danger, the employee who mops a floor should post a warning sign alerting customers that the floor is wet. In fact, this is standard practice at most businesses

    Since your injury was caused by a dangerous condition at the store, you may be able to successfully sue the business for any damages associated with your injury. In order for lawsuit to succeed, you will need to show the following:

    • Your injuries were caused by a dangerous condition in the store’s restroom (the wet floor).
    • The owner or manager knew or should have known about the dangerous condition (an employee was assigned to mop the floor).
    • The owner or manager did not take the necessary steps to correct or warn about the dangerous situation (the employee did not post warning signs).


    While business owners have a duty to protect their customers from known dangers, store customers also have a duty to avoid obvious dangers. If you purposely run across a wet floor, the business owner may claim that the accident was your own fault. If you desperately needed to go and had to cross a wet floor to do so, the jury may find the accident to be caused by a combination of faults. This is called comparative negligence. Any settlement you are awarded will be reduced by a percentage proportional to your share of the blame for your injury.

    The slip and fall injury attorneys at Hupy and Abraham advise that anyone who is injured in an Iowa public restroom to consult with a personal injury lawyer. Please contact Hupy and Abraham at 888-807-2752 to learn about Iowa premises liability claims. The consultation is free.

  • My child loves to go to supervised playtime at the indoor play center near our Illinois home. Last week, he broke his arm while playing on a bounce house. He and his friends said that there were a lot of kids on the bounce house and the teenage staff member was texting instead of watching. I’d like to file a lawsuit, but the facility made me sign a waiver before my child could play. Did I give up my right to sue?

    It seems as if every children’s activity comes with a liability waiver. Many times, these waivers are buries in piles of paperwork that require our signature. Other times, they are flashed in front of our eyes while a staff member says, “Sign this to give your child permission to play.” The waivers have become standard. We may not even read the page we are signing.

    If your child is injured because of negligence, you should not hesitate to contact a personal injury attorney. The attorney will look over the waiver and determine exactly what you signed. In many cases, you simply agree that the activity is risky and that you will not sue if your child is injured because of the inherent risks associated with the activity. However, some waivers contain clauses that excuse the company from liability even if the injury is found to be caused by negligence.

    There are two types of negligence: ordinary negligence and gross negligence.

    • Ordinary negligence: Ordinary negligence occurs when someone fails to act as a reasonably prudent person would under the circumstances. A reasonably prudent teenager would not use the phone while watching children.
    • Gross negligence: Gross negligence is a conscious and voluntary disregard of the need to use proper care. A facility that allows children to use broken equipment is grossly negligent, as is a facility that allows employees to use cell phones while supervising young children.


    A waiver that excuses gross negligence may not hold up in court. Your attorney will be able to tell you exactly what your rights are and whether you, or your child, can file an injury claim.

    The attorneys at Hupy and Abraham offer free consultations. Bring in the waiver, and we’ll tell you if you have a case. Call 800-390-6350 to schedule your appointment. There is no cost and no obligation.


  • What are some of the common injuries that may occur due to a slip and fall accident during the Green Bay winter?

    A Wisconsin winter can bring adverse weather conditions, and this means you may experience wet, icy, or snowy walkways. These winter attributes may contribute to a person being involved in a Green Bay slip and fall accident. Although the winter conditions may contribute to the slip and fall, it is important to remember that it is often in combination with negligence that the slip and fall occurs. The property owner has a legal responsibility to make sure that slip and fall hazards—even those caused by natural weather events—are cleared away in a timely manner.

    The injuries sustained in a slip and fall accident caused by adverse weather can be severe and may result in lifelong complications. It’s crucial to seek medical treatment after any slip and fall injury.

    Some of the common injuries associated with a adverse weather condition slip and fall in Green Bay are:

    • Head trauma. Falling onto a hard surface can cause the victim to sustain damage to the head. Because falls on ice can be quite violent, it is not uncommon to sustain a traumatic brain injury.
    • Back injury. Slipping and falling can take a toll on the back. Back injuries can cause a significant amount of pain and can take a long time to recover. Many back injuries cause lifelong complications.
    • Broken bones. The force of falling on a hard surface can cause a lot of damage. Falling can create a great force to the body, which may cause a bone to fracture.

    If you have been injured, it is important to discuss your situation with a Green Bay slip and fall attorney at Hupy and Abraham, as you may be entitled to compensation. Call 800-800-5678 today for a free case evaluation.


  • I plan to shop the sales at Gurnee Mills on Black Friday, but I’m worried about overzealous crowds and Black Friday injuries. What can I do to protect myself while I shop?

    Black Friday deals can make shoppers go a little crazy. Normally nice people push and shove to get the last Big Hugs Elmo or LeapPad Ultra. They don’t mean to cause injury, but injuries happen. Here’s a list of Black Friday safety tips to help you avoid being an injury victim.

    Black Friday Safety Tips

    • Charge your cell phone and keep it with you. You’ll want to be able to call for help if something happens.
    • Designate a place outside the store where your family will meet if something goes wrong. Let everyone know that staying safe is more important than getting the great deal on the digital camera.
    • Pay attention in the parking lot. Both drivers and pedestrians are likely to be distracted this time of year.
    • Keep your eyes on the people around you. You’ll be able to get out of the way if you come between an obsessive shopper and that last pink polka-dot Furby. You may want that Furby as well, but is it worth the potential pain and expense of a Black Friday slip and fall?
    • Pay attention to your wallet. It only takes a moment of distraction to be robbed.
    • Consider shopping online. You can find most of the same deals on the store website. If you shop online, look for HTTPS in the URL and the padlock icon in the browser status bar. These signs indicate a secure site.
    • Shop on another day. Many stores have even bigger markdowns when it gets closer to the holidays. If you can, shop on a weekday while most people are at work.


    If you are injured, contact the Gurnee personal injury attorneys at Hupy and Abraham. Many Illinois Black Friday injuries, including assaults and robberies, occur because retailers don’t take enough precautions. You may have an Illinois Black Friday injury claim. To learn more, contact Hupy and Abraham at 866-625-2299.