It is winter, and that means an increase in cases of carbon monoxide poisonings in Wisconsin. Carbon monoxide is a clear, odorless gas produced by incomplete combustion. In small amounts, it can produce flu-like symptoms including fatigue, nausea, headaches, and dizziness. Prolonged exposure, or large doses of carbon monoxide, can cause breathing problems, heart damage, brain damage, loss of consciousness, and even death.

Carbon monoxide poisonings often occur in the late fall and early winter when temperatures drop and people turn on their heat. Carbon monoxide fumes are frequently traced to malfunctioning heaters, poorly ventilated furnaces, and blocked chimneys or air vents. Sometimes, carbon monoxide leaks occur because a furnace and its vents were not checked before the heat was turned on. In other cases, a repairman was negligent and left the vents closed. Sometimes the heater is faulty or has a poor design, which causes it to emit carbon monoxide into a room. Sometimes the building has a poor design or a carbon monoxide detector doesn’t work.

Any Wisconsin death that is caused by the negligence or recklessness of another person is considered a Wisconsin wrongful death. If it can be proven that a carbon monoxide leak was caused by the negligence of a builder, property owner, repair company, or manufacturer, that party may be held liable for any injuries or deaths that result.

If you suspect that negligence caused the carbon monoxide injury or death of your loved one, you need a Wausau wrongful death attorney on your side. The Wausau wrongful death lawyers at Hupy and Abraham have the experience necessary to investigate and support your claim. To learn more, contact Hupy and Abraham at 800-800-5678.