After the accidental death of your loved one, you may be able to bring a survival claim, a wrongful death claim, or both a survival claim and a wrongful death claim. Our experienced and compassionate Wisconsin wrongful death lawyers can help you make the decisions that are right for you and your family.
Wisconsin Survival Claims
Your loved one may have suffered physical pain, emotional suffering, and financial loss from the accident before they died. If your loved one had lived, they would have been able to file a personal injury lawsuit to recover compensation for these damages. Sadly, your loved one died before that could happen.
Wisconsin law allows the representative of your loved one’s estate to bring a survival claim to recover compensation for things like:
- Medical bills incurred between the time of the accident and death
- Lost income incurred between the time of the accident and death
- Physical pain and emotional suffering incurred between the time of the accident and death
These damages are important, but they may only reflect a small percentage of the loss created by your loved one’s death.
Wisconsin Wrongful Death Claims
Nothing can take away the intense suffering you experience because of your loved one’s death. However, you shouldn’t have to bear the financial burden of your loved one’s death as you mourn. Instead, in some cases, you can bring a wrongful death action to recover compensation for:
- Income your loved one can’t earn from the time of death until their expected retirement date. Income includes wages, income from self-employment, benefits, anticipated raises, and other work-related compensation.
- Funeral, burial, and other out-of-pocket costs
- Loss of emotional support
- Loss of household help
- Other damages caused by your loved one’s death
Let Our Wrongful Death Lawyers Provide You With a Free Consultation
Right now, things may seem overwhelming. Many people experience confusion after the unexpected death of a loved one. Our experienced Wisconsin wrongful death attorneys are here to help you. We will explain all of your legal rights and potential recoveries.
Contact us today for a free, no-obligation consultation. We would be happy to meet with you by video conference or phone or to welcome you to our Appleton, Green Bay, Madison, Milwaukee, or Wausau law office.