Yes, you may be able to recover damages if your husband was killed while riding his motorcycle.

Generally, the principles of liability are the same in a typical accident and in a hit-and-run accident. Whoever’s negligence caused the crash on I-55 or another Bloomington roadway should be the one to pay for the damages that result from that accident. Of course, that general principle is complicated by the fact that you don’t yet know who caused the crash and your husband’s death.

You Can Still Recover

Your recovery may happen in one of two ways:

  • First, an investigation may reveal who caused the fatal motorcycle hit-and-run crash and then left the scene of the accident. The police may be able to find who caused the accident and left the scene of the crash. Eyewitness testimony, damage to the other vehicle, and other information may be helpful. If the person is found and you pursue a claim against that person, then you may be able to recover wrongful death damages.
  • Second, your family may have uninsured motorist coverage that can help provide you with financial relief after a hit-and-run crash kills your spouse. Your insurance company should provide you with fair damages, but it may need to be persuaded to do so.


For more information about protecting your potential legal recovery after a fatal motorcycle hit and run kills your spouse, please watch our free videos and fill out our online contact form to schedule a free consultation.

Jason F. Abraham
Connect with me
Helping car accident and personal injury victims throughout Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa since 1993.