In the Midwest, it is never too early to start thinking about winter tires. While many people are content to use all-season tires year-round, it could be a huge mistake for those of us who live in areas that experience cold temperatures and regular snowfall. Luckily, a set of dedicated winter tires can dramatically improve your safety during the coldest months.
Serious automobile accidents can be prevented by taking some very simple precautions, such as choosing to use winter tires.
Five Reasons to Choose Snow Tires:
- A 2011 study in Quebec (where snow tires are mandatory) found that snow tire use reduced winter accidents by 5 percent and lowered deaths and serious injury by 3 percent.
- The tread patterns on snow tires are specifically designed for traction on ice and snow because they employ "softer" rubber compounds to enhance grip, even in colder temperatures.
- Snow tires dramatically decrease stopping distance. Many tests show a 35 percent improvement in braking when using snow tires over standard all-season tires.
- Based on testing from Consumer Reports, winter tires easily outperform most all-season tires when it comes to handling and cornering on snow-covered roads.
- A complete set of winter tires, mounted on spare wheels, can cost up to $1,000 or more. That price is often far less than the cost of an insurance deductible after an accident. A good set of winter tires might be the difference between life and death in an accident.
When deciding what winter tires are best for your vehicle, read reviews from reliable sources such as Consumer Reports and speak to your local tire experts. Consumers can expect to spend anywhere from $150 to almost $190 per tire, depending on your vehicle, for top-quality brands.The automobile accident attorneys at Hupy and Abraham hope this information helps you prepare your vehicle for safe winter driving. But in the event that you or a loved one is injured due to the negligence of another driver, please contact us right away. Call 800-800-5678 or start a live chat anytime at Hupy.com.