Our Cedar Rapids car accident lawyer receives many questions every week about how to handle negligence-caused injuries, and we want to make sure that everyone hurt in a car crash to have the answers. As you decide what to do after an accident, we encourage you to consider the answers to five important questions that are asked and answered below.
Should I Hire a Lawyer After a Minor Car Accident?
Even a minor car accident can cause major problems. You may eventually recover from your injuries, but in the days and weeks following the crash, you may:
- Miss time from work
- Require medical care
- Need help with everyday activities
- Need vehicle repair or replacement
You don't need to handle the stress and frustration of a car accident recovery alone. Instead, you have the right to contact an experienced Cedar Rapids car accident lawyer after a minor (or major) car accident. After any crash, your lawyer can help you:
- Determine if you have a case
- Gather evidence to support your claim
- Negotiate with the other driver's insurance company or your own insurance company, if appropriate
- Help you file a lawsuit, if necessary
- Value your claim
- Recover fair damages for your injuries and losses
If you successfully settle your claim or make a recovery in court, you could be compensated for past, current, and future medical costs, lost income, out-of-pocket expenses, pain, suffering, and other accident damages. However, if you fail to take action, you won't recover anything, and you will need to absorb these costs and losses on your own.
How Can a Cedar Rapids Car Accident Attorney Help With Your Crash Claim?
After being involved in a crash, you may be wondering about your next steps. Some people try to handle their own insurance claims, but this is often not in their best interest. An experienced Cedar Rapids car accident attorney can help you navigate the complex legal system and receive the compensation you deserve. Here are four ways an attorney can help with your car accident claim:
- An attorney can help you understand your rights. After being involved in a car accident, it is important to understand your rights. An experienced attorney will be able to explain these rights to you and make sure that they are protected throughout the claims process.
- An attorney can help you gather evidence. In order to prove your case, you will need strong evidence. An experienced attorney will know how to collect this evidence and use it to build a strong case on your behalf.
- An attorney can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf. Insurance companies are often reluctant to pay out large settlements. However, insurance companies know that Hupy and Abraham means business and are often willing to negotiate fair settlements for our clients.
- An attorney can represent you in court. If the insurance company refuses to provide you with a fair settlement, your lawyer will make sure that your rights are protected in court.
While your car accident attorney takes these steps, you can focus on your physical recovery, family, and well-being.
When is it Too Late to Hire a Car Crash Lawyer in Cedar Rapids?
The answer depends on the Iowa personal injury statute of limitations. This law sets a deadline for filing a personal injury lawsuit. If you miss the deadline, you will be barred from recovery. Even if you have a valid claim, you will not be able to collect damages from the responsible party. In some cases, an extension may be granted if you can show that you were unable to file your lawsuit due to extenuating circumstances, but these extensions are rare and difficult to obtain.
The Iowa personal injury statute of limitations is typically two years from the date of the accident. However, some exceptions can extend or shorten the deadline. For example, if the injured party is a minor, the deadline may be extended until the child turns 18. If the defendant is a government entity, the deadline may be as short as six months.
It's important to note that the statute of limitations is not the same as the insurance company's deadline for filing a claim. The insurance company's deadline is usually much shorter than the statute of limitations. As such, it's important to contact a car accident lawyer as soon as possible after your accident. An experienced lawyer can help you navigate the claims process and ensure that your rights are protected. A lawyer can also help you gather evidence and build a strong case for compensation. If you wait too long to hire a lawyer, it may be more difficult to collect evidence and prove your case.
How to Find the Best Car Accident Lawyer Near Me?
You may be feeling overwhelmed and unsure of where to turn. You may wonder, "How do I find the best car accident attorney near me?" The good news is that there are a few different ways to find a qualified and experienced attorney who can help you get the compensation you deserve. For example, you may:
- Ask friends and relatives for referrals. One of the best ways to find a great car accident attorney is to ask your friends and family members for referrals. If someone you know has been in a car accident and had a positive experience with their lawyer, they'll be more than happy to give you their contact information. This is a great way to get started on your search for the best car accident attorney near you.
- Check client testimonials. Another great way to find a great car accident attorney is to check client testimonials. These days, most law firms have an online presence, which means you can easily read what past clients have said about their experience working with the firm. This is a great way to get an idea of what it would be like to work with a particular lawyer or law firm.
- Review case results. Another thing you can do when trying to find the best car accident attorney near you is review case results. This information is typically available on a law firm's website. By reviewing case results, you can get an idea of how successful a particular lawyer or law firm has been in handling similar cases.
- Look at awards. Hupy and Abraham is voted best and rated best year after year. We have more than 1,000 five-star Google reviews and more than 250 recognition awards.
- Schedule a free consultation. Finally, one of the best ways to find the best car accident attorney near you is to schedule a free consultation. This will allow you to meet with the lawyer or law firm in person and discuss your case in detail. It's also a great opportunity to get a feel for whether or not you would be comfortable working with that particular lawyer or law firm.
By taking your time and doing your research, you can be sure that you're making the best decision for your needs.
How Much Does a Car Crash Lawyer in Cedar Rapids Cost?
In most cases, car accident lawyers work on a contingency basis. This means that they do not get paid unless you win your case.
A contingency fee is a percentage of the total amount you are awarded in your settlement or verdict. The exact percentage is agreed upon when you hire your lawyer and sign a contingency fee agreement.
There are several benefits to hiring a lawyer on contingency. First, you do not have to pay anything upfront. This can be helpful if you do not have the money to pay for a lawyer out of pocket. Second, contingency fees incentivize lawyers only to take cases they believe they can win. This means that if you hire a lawyer on contingency, they will likely only take your case if they believe it has a good chance of success.
At Hupy and Abraham, we call this our Win, or It's Free Guarantee. We don't want you to worry about the cost of hiring a lawyer during your recovery. Instead, we are only paid an agreed-upon percentage of your settlement or court verdict.
Contact our Cedar Rapids Car Accident Lawyer for a Free Consult
Our experienced Cedar Rapids car accident lawyer knows what it takes to win car accident cases, and we aren't afraid to go to court to get you a fair recovery. Insurance companies understand that we mean business and are often willing to settle our clients' claims to avoid going to court because they know that we are ready and willing to if necessary.
We invite you to learn more about your claim today by contacting us for your free, no-obligation consultation in our Cedar Rapids office, your home or hospital room, or by video meeting. Reach out to us today by completing our online contact form or calling us directly at 1-800-800-5678 to learn more.