The answer to your question depends on what you mean by the word “recover.” After a tragic loss like the death of a loved on US 69, Interstate 35, or any other Iowa road, your recovery will take many forms.

For example:

  • Your emotional recovery may depend on the care that you get from your family, friends, community, and professionals.
  • Your legal recovery may be aided by the state if a criminal action is brought against the driver who killed your loved one.
  • If you were involved in the crash then your physical recovery may depend on the care that you get from your doctors and therapists.

However, there may be only one way to recover for the financial losses that resulted from the fatal accident.

That Way Is to Pursue a Wrongful Death Case

If someone else’s negligence caused your loved one’s fatal Des Moines car crash, then the administrator of your loved one’s estate may be able to pursue a wrongful death case to help your family recover damages for:

  • Funeral expenses.
  • Lost income.
  • Out-of-pocket costs.
  • Pain and suffering.

Such a case may settle with the insurance company, or responsible party, prior to trial. However, filing a wrongful death case may be the only way to get the financial recovery your family deserves.

Learn More About How to Protect Your Rights

It can be hard to know what to do after a tragedy has changed your whole life. While there are time limits for filing a wrongful death case in Iowa, it is important to take the time to find out more about your possible case and potential recovery so that you can make an informed decision about what to do now. To that end, we encourage you to watch our free videos and to call us directly for a free consultation.

Jason F. Abraham
Connect with me
Helping car accident and personal injury victims throughout Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa since 1993.