If you have been involved—or know someone who has been involved—in a jackknife accident, you know firsthand the damage it can create. Many people who tow trailers are not experienced and do not have the knowledge on how to prevent or escape from a jackknife situation.
If you are going to be towing any sort of trailer, it is very important that you know how to prevent a jackknife accident. Knowing how to prevent a jackknife accident can save your life as well as the lives of your passenger and others on the road. Some of the ways you can prevent a Milwaukee jackknife accident are:
- Watch for swaying. Keep a close eye on your trailer at all times. Watch to see if the trailer is swaying, especially during braking, turns and changing lanes.
- Maintain the trailer. Bad tires, suspension, or trailer brakes will increase the likelihood of losing control of the trailer.
- Follow the weight limits. Do not load the trailer past its manufacturer’s suggested weight limit. Doing so will increase sway and may create the trailer to become unbalanced.
- Control your speed. Driving too fast can cause more sway on the trailer and can also lead to many other dangerous situations. If you must, drive slowly with the hazard lights on and proceed with caution.
- Use caution with light loads. Many jackknife accidents that occur when the trailer is empty. A trailer that is light can bounce and sway very easily.
Contact Our Auto Accident Attorney in Milwaukee for Your Jackknife Car Crash
If you have been injured in jackknife or any other type of accident, you may be entitled to compensation. If you have been injured, you need the representation of an experienced Milwaukee car crash attorney at Hupy and Abraham. Call 800-800-5678 today for a free consultation.