You were injured in a Wisconsin motorcycle crash. Maybe you lost control of your bike while trying to avoid a deer; maybe you fell after hitting a pothole; or maybe you suffered life-threatening injuries after a crash with a motor vehicle. The end result is the same. You want to get back on your bike, but it’s harder than you thought.
It is not unusual for riders to experience some degree of emotional trauma or Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) after a Wisconsin motorcycle wreck. This can cause a loss of confidence, a fear of riding, or even panic at the thought of getting back on the motorcycle. Many riders avoid riding after their crash. Some never get on their motorcycles again. But, you shouldn’t give up a part of your life that brought you so much joy.
How can you enjoy riding again? Here are some tips from our Milwaukee motorcycle injury lawyers:
- Get professional help. Talk to a doctor or counselor about your feelings. He can help you deal with the stress of the crash and overcome your fears.
- Get your bike checked by a mechanic. If you haven’t ridden for a while, your bike may need a tune-up and maintenance before its ready to go back on the road.
- Start small. Your first step is to get on the motorcycle. Just sit there. Then try to start the bike. It may take a few tries before you are ready to go for a short ride.
- Go easy on yourself. Small steps are enough. Don’t pressure yourself to do more than you are ready to do.
- Get support. Good support from family and friends can help you overcome the trauma of your accident. Get advice from a motorcyclist who has overcome injuries and ridden again.
- Use the accident as a learning experience. Look at the accident as a lesson, not a disaster. Remember that experience makes you a better rider.
- Take a motorcycle safety course. A motorcycle safety course can help you gain confidence in your riding skills.
Don’t let the accident take this away from you. You can ride again.
The Milwaukee motorcycle accident attorneys at Hupy and Abraham are riders. We understand the joy of riding a motorcycle on a crisp fall morning. We also understand the emotional, physical and financial difficulties that injured motorcyclists face. We fight for our clients to make sure they get everything they need to fully recover from their accident. To learn more, request your free copy of The Ultimate Guide for Motorcycle Accident Victims, or contact Hupy and Abraham at 800-800-5678.