Have you suffered serious injuries because of a car accident, slip and fall, dog bite, or pharmaceutical mistake? Are you being faced with piles of medical bills and don't know who to turn to? Do you wish someone could take the worry, confusion, and endless medical bills off your hands?
If so, you've come to the right place. The personal injury lawyers of Hupy and Abraham are experienced in representing victims in Iowa. We're still celebrating the opening of our three newest offices to serve victims of negligence in Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, and Quad Cities.
We know that choosing an attorney for your injury claim can be overwhelming. As you sort through the TV commercials, yellow page ads, billboards, and websites, you may wonder, “How do I know which lawyer is right for my family and me?”
Here are seven tips to help you choose a personal injury attorney in Iowa:
- Choose an Iowa personal injury lawyer rather than a general attorney. The law is constantly changing. You want an attorney who is up-to-date with the most recent developments in Iowa personal injury law.
- Look for an attorney who has expertise in your claim area. Most injury lawyers handle a range of personal injury cases, but that doesn’t mean they have handled every type of injury. You need an attorney who has handled cases like yours. This means that if you had a bad reaction to a prescription drug, you should seek an attorney with pharmaceutical class action experience rather than an attorney who has only handled car crashes.
- Get referrals. Ask your friends and family for attorney recommendations. Look up the attorneys on the Iowa Bar website and visit their law practice websites.
- Research the attorneys. Once you’ve selected several candidates, research the attorneys and their practice history. Select an attorney with a proven record of service and results.
- Ask to see case results. This will give you an idea at how effective the attorney is at representing cases like yours. Ask how often the attorney settles and how often he goes to court. Insurance companies know that attorneys who rarely go to court are more likely to take a low offer. You want an attorney who has courtroom experience.
- Choose an attorney who works on a contingency basis. This means the lawyer gets paid a percentage of your settlement. There are no upfront costs for you, and the attorney has an incentive to get you the best settlement possible.
- Choose an attorney you like. You will be spending lots of time with your Iowa accident attorney. You will be sharing personal information. You will be more comfortable if you choose someone that you like and trust.
Need more information? Browse our website for the latest news, blog posts, and informative articles about Iowa injury law. You'll even find more information about our Iowa expansion, as well as services for clients. To schedule a free consultation, contact the office nearest you.