You’re pulling in to a Gurnee Mills parking spot when another driver backs out and crashes into your car. You are left with cuts and bruises and a dislocated shoulder. The other driver was using a cell phone and claims that he didn’t see you. He’s obviously at fault. Can you get insurance compensation?
Many people believe that you can’t get insurance compensation for parking lot accidents because a parking lot is private property. This isn’t true. An Illinois parking lot accident is treated like any other crash. The driver who causes the accident is responsible for any medical bills and property damage. And, as with any accident, you will need to take steps to protect your claim. Here are nine tips from our Gurnee accident attorneys.
- Move to a safe place. Turn on your blinkers so other drivers see your vehicle. If are a pedestrian, get out of traffic. If you are too injured to move, ask the other driver to turn on all his lights and blinkers.
- Stay calm. Don’t apologize and don’t yell at the other driver.
- Call 911. Let the dispatcher know if you have any injuries.
- File a police report. Filing a police report provides documentation of the accident. File the police report even if you are responsible for the crash. It will shield you from future claims for damage or injuries that aren’t related to the crash.
- Get the driver’s contact information. You will need the driver’s name, contact number, and insurance information. He will need the same information. Don’t give him your address or driver’s license number.
- Get contact information for any witnesses. Write down the name and phone number of anyone who saw the Gurnee parking lot wreck.
- Take pictures. You should photograph both the damage on vehicles and the accident scene. Be sure to include any skid marks that could help show what happened. It’s also a good idea to photograph your injuries.
- See a doctor. Protect your health by getting your injuries treated and learning the warning signs of hidden injuries. Protect your claim with medical records that prove you were injured.
- Never settle. Don’t accept a monetary offer from the other driver and don’t offer to settle without involving the insurance company.
Nearly 20 percent of car accidents happen in parking lots. During the holiday season, parking lots are extra busy. Be careful. If you are injured in a Gurnee parking lot accident, the attorneys at Hupy and Abraham would like to help. Call us at 866-625-2299 to schedule a free consultation with an Illinois accident lawyer.