Warm weather has rapidly come upon Wisconsin. It is time to shed the winter layers and enjoy the warm sun that summertime brings. With Madison’s peak summer temperatures reaching the mid 80’s, summer makes for a wonderful time to share the local community swimming pool. Or, for the fortunate ones, it means enjoying their private pool or a friend’s pool.
As many people are enjoying swimming in the warm weather, it is important to remember to put safety first. Unfortunately, every summer many children are the victims of wrongful death swimming accidents in Wisconsin. Losing a child due to a swimming accident is a heartbreaking, saddening, and emotional event. The family and loved ones of the deceased often struggle in dealing with the loss.
The owner or operator of the pool should always be sure that the swimming area is safe for those coming to enjoy it. Failing to do so may lead to a Madison wrongful death accident.
Some of the common causes for a pool accident leading to a death include:
- Murky or cloudy pool water. Water that is hard to see in may cause a swimmer to hit the wall or bottom of the pool, knocking her unconscious and drowning. It will also prevent the lifeguard from being able to see the victim underwater.
- Improper pool maintenance. Pools require a lot of attention and care in order to keep them in a safe condition for swimmers to enjoy.
- Lifeguard error. It is important that a lifeguard pays constant attention to those swimming in the pool. Failing to do so may lead to a drowning. The lifeguard should also be well trained to prevent accidents from occurring.
- Overcrowding. On warm days, many residents may enjoy a public pool. A pool that becomes overcrowded may present danger to the swimmers.
- Fencing. A pool should always be properly fenced to protect young ones from wondering in the pool. Having no fencing or a defective fence poses a threat to those who do not yet know how to swim.
If you have lost a loved one due to a wrongful death accident, it is important that you seek legal guidance. To discuss your legal options, contact an experienced Madison wrongful death attorney at Hupy and Abraham Call 888-277-4879 today for a free case evaluation.