Though slip and fall accidents generally get a big laugh in comedies, the injuries stemming from a slip and fall are no laughing matter. If you have been injured during or after slipping, you know how serious and life-altering the event can be.
Below you will find some of the more common injuries associated with a slip and fall or trip and fall accident. Please click on the highlighted links to visit the Mayo Clinic to learn more about the injury.
- Broken leg- A broken leg can lead to months of recovery. This injury occurs when a person falls and their leg strikes an object hard enough to cause a break or fracture.
- Broken wrist or arm- When you fall your instinct is to reach out and stop yourself from falling. This can cause your arm or wrist to take the impact of the fall, causing a breaking of the arm or wrist.
- Spinal cord injury- A spinal cord injury can end life as you know it. During a slip and fall your back may strike an object behind you, causing severe damage to the spine. This injury represents one of the more debilitating injuries caused by a slip and fall.
- Head trauma or concussion- When a slip and fall causes a traumatic brain injury, the implications can be devastating. Though a mild concussion may not lead to permanent damage, a serious head injury caused by the head hitting the ground or an object can cause permanent disability.
- Hip fracture- A hip fracture is an all too common injury sustained during a slip and fall. Though you can break your hip at any age, people older than 65 are at higher risk for this injury. A hip fracture is serious and complications can be life-threatening.
- Loss of life- If a fall is serious and causes extensive injury, the results can be fatal. Head, hip and spine trauma are the more deadly injuries caused by a trip or slip and fall.
While some slip or trip and fall accidents are simply that, accidents, many are caused by the negligence of others. If you believe that a hazardous condition such as a wet floor, item obtruding onto a walkway, improperly maintained sidewalk or icy parking lot has caused you to slip and fall, please seek medical attention. After you have been seen by a doctor contact your attorneys at Hupy & Abraham. During your free consultation we will be able to access your case and decide on the best course of action.
With offices across Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa we are here when you need us. Please call today. 1.800.800.5678