Unfortunately, Bloomington, Rockford, and eastern Illinois car wrecks are a common occurrence with many related to driver fatigue.
Fatigue-related traffic accidents have become the second most common type of accident on the roads today. Annually, there are about 100,000 accidents caused by fatigued drivers in the United States. Fatigue contributes to accidents when the driver is over-exhausted or simply short on needed sleep. The accumulation of fatigue poisons in the bloodstream can slow reaction time, impair judgment, increase irritability and lead to disastrous decisions on the road.
Illinois drivers become so wrapped up with their busy lifestyles that sometimes there is not enough time to rest. When combined with driving, this can be a dangerous mixture. It is important for your safety as well as the safety of others to stay fresh and awake while driving. The following are some tips from our Bloomington car accident attorneys to help you.
Tips to Avoid Being Involved in an Accident due to Driver Fatigue
- Know your body and how it reacts to lack of sleep and exhaustion. Different people can handle different amounts. If you know that you are overtired, don’t attempt to operate a vehicle.
- Plan your trip before you head out on a long journey. Make time to get plenty of sleep in between long stretches of driving.
- Bring a driving buddy, if possible, if you know you are going to be driving for long distances - someone who is willing to share the driving responsibility with you. This will allow you to take a rest or perhaps a nap between your driving times. Besides keeping you fresh at the wheel, it will also allow you to cut some time off your trip.
- Pull over if you start to feel tired on the road. Find a safe place to park and take a quick rest. Even a short nap can revitalize and refresh.
- If you are taking medications, make sure they don’t cause you to become drowsy. Most medications that have this attribute will say so on the label.
Unfortunately, we can be responsible for only our own driving safety. If you have been involved in a traffic accident in Illinois due to a fatigued driver, contact the car accident law firm of Hupy and Abraham. We have experienced Illinois personal injury attorneys in Gurnee, Bloomington and Rockford as well as a free copy of our book, The Ultimate Guide for Automobile Accident Victims.
Contact Hupy and Abraham today for a free, confidential, no obligation consultation
toll-free at 800-800-5678 or using our online contact form.