Get Help Now


If I report my injury from a prescription drug to the FDA, will I be compensated?

No. The Federal Drug Administration (FDA) may require the drug manufacturer or distributor to take certain actions, but it is not the FDA’s role to compensate you for your injuries.

What the FDA Does

Individual patients who suffer serious side effects from a medication prescribed to them by a doctor at St. Luke’s Hospital, Mercy Medical Center, or anywhere else in Cedar Rapids or the nation may report the side effects to the FDA via MedWatch. The FDA relies on reports by patients and doctors to monitor the safety of prescription medications once the medications are approved and used in the marketplace. Your report may cause the FDA to investigate the safety of a particular drug, especially if other reports of similar side effects are received by other patients or doctors.

An FDA investigation could lead to further warnings being placed on the drug, a recall, or further actions. However, individuals are not routinely compensated through the MedWatch system.

But That Doesn’t Mean You Can’t Be Compensated

You have to protect your own recovery. One way to do this is to contact a pharmaceutical class action lawyer. An attorney can help you understand your rights, connect with others who have also been hurt, and fight for the recovery that you deserve.

Do you know someone who has suffered a serious side effect from a prescription medication? Please share this article on Facebook or Twitter and help get the word out about what to do after a prescription drug injury.

Jason F. Abraham
Managing Partner, Hupy and Abraham