How serious does an injury have to be before it’s worthwhile to hire a Bloomington personal injury lawyer? You know you need an attorney if your loved one suffers a brain injury after an accident caused by a drunk driver. Do you need an attorney for a fender bender? What about a slip and fall? Or a medication error?
It depends. While this is probably your first experience dealing with an Illinois personal injury claim, the insurance company deals with hundreds of thousands of claims each year. Their goal is to pay out as little as possible. This means that the bigger your injury, the less likely you are to get fair compensation. A Bloomington personal injury attorney can help even the playing ground.
Here are some guidelines to help you determine whether you need a personal injury lawyer for your Bloomington injury case.
You should probably hire an attorney when:
- There are significant damages to your vehicle.
- You suffered a serious injury.
- You spent the night in the hospital.
- You will need long-term medical care.
- Your injury is expected to last for an extended period of time.
- You suffered a permanent disability.
- You have scars from the injury.
- You have missed work or are unable to work because of your injuries.
You should consult an attorney when:
- You are offered a settlement that doesn’t provide adequate compensation for your damages.
- The insurance adjuster is pressuring you into making a decision.
- The claims adjuster has offered you a tiered settlement.
- You are not sure how to evaluate your claim.
- The insurance company is stalling or delaying processing your claim.
- You are frustrated after dealing with the insurance adjuster.
- Liability for your injury has not been determined.
- Several parties may be responsible for your injury.
- The insurance company has denied your claim.
- You don’t know where to file your claim.
You can probably handle your claim on your own when:
- Your injuries are minor.
- You do not have any medical expenses.
- There is little property damage.
- The police report or injury report clearly states who was at fault for your injury.
At Hupy and Abraham, are goal is to help Illinois injury victims get the fair compensation they deserve. You’re welcome to come in and speak to Bloomington injury lawyer even if you’re not sure you have a case. To schedule a free consultation, call our Bloomington law office at 309-862-4800 locally or 866-532-4800 toll-free.