Summer vacation is over, and it’s time for school-aged children to return to structured schedules. For parents, this means buying school supplies, teaching healthy habits and providing information to keep kids safe while making their way to and from school. The beginning of the school year is a time when children are at increased risk of transportation-related injuries from pedestrian, bicycle, school bus and motor vehicle crashes. As a result, August is recognized as Back-to-School Safety Month.
This is a great time to talk to children about remaining alert and cognizant of their safety when traveling to and from school, whether on a bus, a bike or walking. Parents are encouraged to discuss the following tips with their children to ensure their safety once the school year begins.
- Plan and practice a safe walking route before school begins.
- Use streets with sidewalks, crosswalks and crossing guards. Avoid as many intersections as possible.
- Always remain aware of your surroundings, especially if using a cellphone or playing a video game like Pokémon GO. Avoid cellphones and video games while walking in areas with vehicle traffic.
- Always wear a helmet, no matter the distance.
- Ride on the right-hand side of the road, in the same direction as traffic.
- Use hand signals when turning or stopping.
School Bus Safety
- Get to the bus stop early. Do not run to the bus.
- Wait until the bus has come to a complete stop before walking toward it. If crossing the street, wait until the bus driver signals to do so.
- Once the bus is in motion, remain in seat and do not stand up until it has completely stopped.
Child pedestrian safety should be a priority for everyone. Take steps to ensure that all children can get to and from school safely. Order a free Yield To Pedestrians or Watch for Cycles sticker from Hupy and Abraham today to help spread awareness in your community!
In the event that your child is injured by an inattentive driver on their way to or from school, please contact the experienced attorneys of Hupy and Abraham right away. Call 800-800-5678 for a free, no-obligation consultation or start a live chat now at Hupy.com.